Trouble with Lsongs

benanzo

Hi.

I downloaded Lsongs (lsongs-0.1.0-0.b24.2mdk) from one of the public Mandriva mirrors and it installed without a hitch...i think (i didn't get any errors), but when I try to run it from the menu it looks like it's starting and then dies. When I try it from Konsole I get:

[ben@dora ~]$ lsongs

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Lsongs/lsongs", line 13, in ?

from kdeemul import *

File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Lsongs/kdeemul.py", line 6, in ?

from kdecore import *

ImportError: No module named kdecore

[ben@dora ~]$

Does anyone know what this is about? kdecore? hmmm...

I am new and have grown to treat all "modules" the same and I tried "modprobe kdecore" as root but Konsole said it doesn't know what that is and then told me to go to bed hungry.

I'm using Mandriva Free 2006 2.6.12-12mdk with KDE 3.4.2

any help would be terrif. thanks in advance.

benanzo (among other things)

Edited by benanzo

How did you download it? Manually from an FTP mirror?

You'd be better using easy-urpmi sources, and then installing using System/Configuration/Packaging/Install Software, or simply:

urpmi lsongs

from the command line. I'm unsure, but I think it could be a dependency problem. I'd be tempted to do:

rpm -e lsongs

or even:

urpme lsongs

should remove the currently installed package, and then set up your easy urpmi repositories, and then install using:

urpmi lsongs

this is the preferred way to install packages, it's much easier, and less likely to get problems.

Check if you have this package installed:

libkdecore4-devel-3.4.2-31.3.20060mdk

type:

rpm -qa | grep kdecore

and see what is reported back. This is what mine reports when I issue this command:

[root@europa lib]# rpm -qa | grep kdecore
libkdecore4-3.4.2-31.3.20060mdk
libkdecore4-devel-3.4.2-31.3.20060mdk

of course, I have two packages, so see which ones you have, and install based on your results, using:

urpmi libkdecore4
or
urpmi libkdecore4-devel

or using the GUI.

thanks, we'll see how it goes in a few minutes. Right now it's downloading the crapload of devel packages it says it needs.

I did:

[root@dora ben]# rpm -qa | grep kdecore

libkdecore4-3.4.2-31.3.20060mdk

[root@dora ben]# urpmi libkdecore4-devel

and then had to choose between a few different packages and download a ton of others. So we'll see in a min.

Lsongs requires the following packages as dependencies:-

libid3_3.8_3-3.8.3-8mdk, libqscintilla5-1.5.1-1mdk,

pyid3lib-0.5.1-4mdk, PyQt-3.14.1-1mdk, pyxine-0.1-0.alpha2.3mdk,

sip-4.2.1-3mdk

Without these you will get nowhere.

If you have set up urpmi correctly by using easy-urpmi (available on a tab right at the very top of this page) and set up Updates, Contrib, Main, PLF-Free (for libdvdcss to see DVD movies on your machine) and PLF-NonFree ..... then the extra package dependencies would have been properly taken care of by also being selected in the downloads and installed.

Since you are still using the kernel 2.6.12-12, it would seem that maybe you haven't downloaded and installed the latest updates which include a lot of fixes. I strongly recommend that you do.

Cheers. John.

I just noticed that you are downloading all sorts of Devel. packages. You don't need any of these unless you are going to rewrite or alter some of the packages or develop related packages.

You are making a heap of unnecessary work for yourself.

Edited by AussieJohn

I did the updates a few days ago, just to verify I checked and it said there are no available updates. I have all the sources on easyurpmi.zarb.org set up and it was from on of those that I originally downloaded lsongs. I also individually verified that the exact versions of each of those packages you stated were present and they are.

Did the libkdecore help any in getting it working?

Kernel's don't tend to automatically upgrade, so you'll always remain at kernel-2.6.12.12mdk unless you manually upgrade. This is a safe option to stop your system going pear-shaped during an update.

Latest kernel is kernel-2.6.12.22mdk, and can be achieved with:

urpmi kernel-2.6.12.22mdk

or using install software and filtering by kernel, to choose this one.

Let us know how you got on with installing that libkdecore stuff.

after perusing some other posts found by putting my error through google I believe my problem is related to PyKDE and/or PyQT. I am in the process of tracking down all their deps and trying to get them to work together and then I'll retry lsongs. I'm probably just breaking a bunch of stuff though

http://forum.linspire.com/viewtopic.php?p=...5b2ab19bfaca3e7

this poster on linspire seemed to have the same problem and the reply stated that PyKDE was needed.

I found one that looked like it would work on rpmfind since it's not in any of the mandriva reps. But now I'm hitting a ton of dep issues. Anyway...

EDIT:

I can't figure it out. Is anyone using Lsongs out there that has similar setup on their machine?

Edited by benanzo