Dual-Booting with Windows - but I can't format!

ahmad

hi...

I've a 10 GB partition contains windows XP...and 3 other partitions on my 120g HDD, and at the same time I have mandriva on another 120 HDD which is plugged as slave....

I wont to see the selection menue at boot..... but the problem is it always boot windows automatically.. and I can't even access my Mandriva HDD from windows....

so.. how can I do it? knowing that I'm really new... dreaming to get red of windows forever.... but still need it for suspended work.... so.. take it easy with me... I'm not familiar with Konsole .. I don't know what matchpoint is.... or even boot loader!!!

sorry... but I promises I'll improve!

Sounds like you don't have the correct bootloader installed on the correct partition but the windows bootloader.

You need to install grub (or lilo but grub's better and safer) on the correct hd and partition, you can do this with the mandriva cd, I had to play a little with it before I found the correct partition/hd.

It is the bootloader, which let you boot into multiple OS'es. I would try to see if the Mandriva CD let's you fix or upgrade an existing installation and then try to find the right hd. I have 2 hd's and 5 partitions, it took me a while to figure out. Try hda/ or sda/ first, on the CD there should be a nice graphical interface to do that...

Potentially, yeah it could destroy the master file table of your ntfs (although this is recoverable, though a pain in the arse), that's why I choose grub, as it is safer than Lilo. You could also try switching the HD's. (what happens when you try to disconnect the drive with windows on it? does it boot into mandriva?)

edit: chances are not very big though on destroying the mft and formatting won't happen unless you select it off course...)

Edited by ffi

In order to multi-boot, you must install a bootloader on the master boot record. (mbr) It is as safe as doing anything on a computer. B) lilo and grub are both used for this, as well as other commercial bootloaders. There is nothing unusual about it. The most common mistake is to install the bootloader on the partition containing linux. It should always goe to the mbr, which is usually where windows resides since windows will only run from the first boot partition.

Boot witht the Mandriva cd, and at the splash hit F1 and type "rescue". You will eventually be presented with a menu from which you can install a boot loader or restore the windows boot record. lilo and grub are both "safe".

lilo and grub are both "safe".

Lilo rest completely in the MBR, whilst GRUB points to the configuration which lies outside the mbr, so every time you try to modify LILO changes are made to the MBR. I did find this out the hard way, ie I did loose my mft, messing about with lilo too much. This also makes Grub far easier to configure...

guys... i'm really SLOW in this Linux world... can any one tell me wht to do step by step after booting Mandriva CD...

cause i really get lost with all these / ./. slashes i see in Linux...

sorry again... and my promiss to improve and help you saving ppl is still on!

:)