kernel woes... Promise FastTrak133

Guest krauskopf

Guest krauskopf

I'm still using the default kernel. It works great, but I need some V4L related stuff that isn't in there.

My linux drive is on a Promise FastTrak 133 raid controller, though I'm not actually using raid.

Since I need a new kernel anyway, I grabbed 2.4.20. I don't believe I need any of the extra stuff mandrake has thrown in; correct me if I'm wrong.

I added:

<*> Support for IDE Raid controllers (EXPERIMENTAL)

<*> Support Promise software RAID (Fasttrak) (EXPERIMENTAL)

I saw this:

"Say Y or M if you have a Promise Fasttrak Raid controller and want linux to use the softwareraid feature of this card. This driver uses /dev/ataraid/dXpY (X and Y numbers) as device names."

My current functional LILO uses this:

root=/dev/hdc1

Is it instead supposed to use /dev/ataraid/d0p1? is that one of the differences in the mandrake kernel?

After compiling and re-lilo'ing, I get a beautiful can't mount root FS kernel panic.

Thanks.

Just a guess, but probably you are missing one step, maybe you where supposed to create an initrd image to preload some 'drivers' which are needed to mount the HD, but which must be loaded *before* the HD can be mounted.

Have you tried a search in google?