Help starting programs [solved]

jagwah

Ok, for some programs, well games actually, I have to type quite a bit in the console to start them. What I want to be able to do is creat a shortcut so as I just have to click it to start the game.

Example, to start Doom, I must enter the following.

doomsday -game jdoom -file /usr/share/deng/Data/jDoom/doom.wad -file }Data/jDoom/jDRP.pk3 -def }Defs/jDoom/jDRP.ded -userdir ~/.jdoom

What do I have to do to create a shortcut/file that I can just click, instead of typing all that?

I know I can cycle through recently entered stuff in the console and hit enter, and I know how to create shortcuts for other games which have a 'shell script' file(I think it is), in the instalation directory, eg, Quake4, I just point the shortcut to quake4 file in the Quake4 directory. But for those that don't have this, I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by jagwah

I've tried that, but it doesn't seem to work, I have done it by creating a link to application, and inserting the relevant stuff, but it either does nothing, or I get a message saying that it is malformatted, or KDinit(or something) can't open it. Must be doing something wrong, I am lost here, but I guess I'll get there eventually. Its really frustrating when something that would take you 30 seconds to do on windows, takes you many hours to work out, but thats just unfamiliarity though, frustrating none the less, when I understand how it's done I'm sure it will be quick and easy. I've been googling, and reading, but ...

the journey continues...

I have it, don't know if it is the correct way, but I will test it, then write back how I done it, and hopefully someone can tell me if it is the correct way, or at least ok to do it that way. Thanks

ok. everything seems to work fine, what I done was create my own shell script file, added the following to it,

#!/bin/bash

cd /usr/bin

/usr/bin/doomsday -game jdoom -file /usr/share/deng/Data/jDoom/doom.wad -file }Data/jDoom/jDRP.pk3 -def }Defs/jDoom/jDRP.ded -userdir ~/.jdoom

placed it in the games directory, made a Link to application on my desktop pointing to that shell script, and as they say the rest is history. I could have just left the shell script on the desktop and clicked it to start the game, but decided to move it and creat a link to app for the sake of consistency, thats how the other games I have seem to do it.

Edited by jagwah