Sound module appears to load twice

Guest SDMF

I had a thread about getting bass/treble controls to work in MDK 9.0, I got some wonderful help on that, and it works now. Now something wierd happens, though. On startup, when you see the boot progress, the line

Loading sound module (emu10k1)

appears twice in a row. The following lines concerning the sound module are in my modules.conf:

alias sound emu10k1

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

post-install emu10k1 /usr/local/etc/emu-script

Now, I have the tone controls working now, so the sound is working just fine. I just can't figure out why this is coming up twice, and if that could cause a problem or not. Anyone got any ideas?

Just a guess but I'd say it's not loading twice but rather saying;

1. Loading sound module (emu10k1)

2. post-install emu10k1 /usr/local/etc/emu-script

or one of the modules.config entries. The messages are not always 100% acurate as to what's really happening. Like when shutting down and it says "Sending SIG TERM to processes" makes it sound like "all processes" but it's only killing the processes started by init. That message is read from a script, and can be changed. Just a thought :)

what does

lsmod

say?

comment the line "alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1" and see what happens.

just a thought :)

I did a lot of tweaking *long time ago* with my modules.conf due to problems with my sound card that rised with newer kernels, and one of the things I had to do was to comment that line. Though I don't remember which where those problems nor why did I have "among other tings" to comment that line, here is my sound section at modules.conf in the hope that it brings some help to you:

# ---------------- Sound -------------------------------------

# alias sound-slot-0 cs4232

alias sound cs4232

alias midi opl3

pre-install cs4232 /sbin/modprobe soundcore

pre-install cs4232 /sbin/modprobe uart401

pre-install cs4232 /sbin/modprobe isa-pnp

pre-install cs4232 /sbin/modprobe ad1848

options cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=3 synthirq=5 synthio=0x388 

# post-install cs4232 /sbin/modprobe opl3

options opl3 io=0x388

Yeah, I'd already tried commenting out that line. It didn't load properly. I think it may be what bvc is saying, that it is something in the emu-script that is writing that out to the screen. I'll see what I can do about looking at the script, see if that's the case.

alias sound emu10k1 

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

These are two different sound drivers.

emu10k1 is OSS/Free

snd-emu10k1 is ALSA 0.9

They cannot be loaded at the same time.

I have a similar problem in mdk-9.1rc1 where draksound created such a screwed up sound configuration.

Oops, I just looked at the modules.conf, and the "alias sound-slot-0" line doesn't actually say snd-emu10k1, it says emu10k1. Sorry for the confusion. Looking into the emu-script now...

Duh...I didn't notice that, but ndeb is rt. It's trying or is loading the alsa and oss driver. Does lsmod list both?
lsmod only shows the modules loaded by the kernel. The kernel will not load two seperate drivers for the same device at the same time.

First,

That message is read from a script
SDMF, sorry for leading you to a dead end. After looking into it further, it's actually a .c file that can edited b4 compile from source to change a message.

Sysvinit for example;

cp src/init.c{,.backup} &&

sed 's/Sending processes/Sending processes started by init/g' 

src/init.c.backup > src/init.c