Dual-booting Linux Distros

Cannonfodder

There's no problem with sharing the /home partition. For the swap partition, no problem either (even sharable with win!) EXCEPT if your swap partition is used when power is down, if you use the swsusp kernel patch (software suspend to swap).

... EXCEPT if your swap partition is used when power is down
how do you use a swap when power is down? thanks!
The swsusp project is a kernel patch that enables you to halt the computer "to-disk" without using any APM- or ACPI-specific feature. Thus it is usable with any hardware. You can leave all your applications open, etc...

Roughly, when shuting down the machine, the state of the machine, and the whole memory are copied to swap. At start of the computer, the patched kernel looks at the swap to see if a previous state is to be restored. If so, then the state is restored as it was before shutdown (X, open applications...), else the system is booted as usual.

I'd like to try this patch, but I've heard that it is not trivial, so, as I never even compiled a kernel...

Yves.

Ok, I now have my system setup with Mandrake 9.0 and Mandrake 9.1RC1. Here's my problem.. I've taken the lilo.conf settings for each distro and updated each distro with the other distro's setting so I can boot into either distro (mouthfull).

When I install lilo from Mandrake 9.0, I get a normal boot up for 9.0 and errors [FAILS] for 9.1Rc1.

When I install lilo from Mandrake 9.1Rc1, i get a normal boot up for 9.1rc1 and errors [FAILS] for 9.0.

Here' is the lilo.conf for 9.0

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default=Windows2000

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=3000

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

ignore-table

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=Mandrake9

root=/dev/hdc7

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=Mandrake91RC1

root=/dev/hdc11

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

vga=788

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label=Windows2000

table=/dev/hda

Here is the lilo.conf from 9.1

map=/boot/map

default="Mandrake9"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=Mandrake9

root=/dev/hdc7

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="Mandrake91RC1"

root=/dev/hdc11

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

vga=788

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hda

Anyone have a clue? (we need a head scratching emoticon!). Also, what is the acpi=off thingie?

I find that using one and the same lilo works nicely if you have recompiled the kernel or so, and you're trying out the new one (or completely switching to it), but using lilo to boot 2 different distros hasn't done much for me.

Maybe that's why loads of people prefer grub, it seems grub handles that better. On the other hand, whenever you change grub, it doesn't give you the feedback that lilo does (added ... ) so if you screw up the file you may be stuck with nothing...

Anyway, I was dual booting to mdk9.0 and RH8.0 before (and definitely sticking with mdk, really don't like rh..) and when trying to use mdk lilo (pointing to the rh in the same way the rh lilo was), I would still get the mandrake graphical boot process (blue-grey/whiteish)... and it wouldn't boot. Same the other way around.

Now I kicked off RH, put mdk9.1rc in its place and just installed lilo on a floppy (as is proposed during install).

The lilo on the flop is really only that, it points to the right partition (so it doesn't load the kernel or so, it's quite fast) and things boot from there.

So when I put the floppy in, it boots mdk9.1rc1, when I take it out, it goes to 9.0. Makes it easier actually, I don't have to select anything during boot. Unless I want to boot windows, but that's been some time now... ;)

You have to copy the vmlinuz and initrd.img for 9.1 to a new folder in /boot for 9.0 and give the path to these files( eg. /boot/md9.1/vmlinuz, /boot/md9.1/initrd.img) in the 9.0 lilo in order to boot to 9.1 from 9.0 lilo. At boot time lilo only mounts the partition from which it was initially installed and if your using 9.0 lilo it can't see the 9.1 partition. I usually use the boot floppies to transfer the data per this post:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...2792&highlight=

You don't need to use the boot floppies if you can mount the 9.1 partion and copy the files to 9.0 and you don't need to use mcc if you want to edit lilo.conf by hand. Just be sure to run lilo before you reboot and try the new entry.

cannonfodder,

This is what I have for my triple-boot system (win2k, mdk-9.0, mdk9.1rc1) and this works with lilo:

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default=linux

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=50

message=/boot/message

ignore-table

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux

root=/dev/hdb1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

read-only

image=/mnt/linux/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux-mdk9.1rc1

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/mnt/linux/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label=windows

table=/dev/hda

I have a /mnt/linux directory (in my mdk-9.0 install) where the / of my mdk-9.1 is mounted. Now, with this setting, if u run lilo, it will do the right thing. This is not very elegant but gets the job done. Why it works is for experts to decide.

This is what I get when I run lilo -v -t:

LILO version 22.3.2 (test mode), Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger

Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2002 John Coffman

Released 11-Jul-2002 and compiled at 21:48:42 on Aug 13 2002.

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda

Using GRAPHIC secondary loader

Calling map_insert_data

Mapping message file /boot/message -> message-graphic

Calling map_insert_file

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.19-24mdk

Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img -> initrd-2.4.19-24mdk.img

Added linux *

Boot image: /mnt/linux/boot/vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.21pre4-6mdk

Mapping RAM disk /mnt/linux/boot/initrd.img -> initrd-2.4.21pre4-6mdk.img

Added linux-mdk9.1rc1

Boot other: /dev/hda1, on /dev/hda, loader CHAIN

Added windows

The boot sector and the map file have *NOT* been altered.

As u can see all the right (kernel, initrd) pairs have been selected.