No cd-rom detected?

Guest Juggalo702

Guest Juggalo702

Ok. I seen a post that had the same problem, but I just couldn't quite understand what they were saying. I've been having the "no cd-rom detected" problem. Then it will say something about picking a SCSI. I admit, I am a major newbie. I am good at Windows and figured Linux would give me a challenge. Red Hat Linux gave me no trouble with this "no cd-rom detected" though. :oops:

Guest Juggalo702

I would, but Linux Red Hat isn't wanting to let me open the hardware browser. It will open, then close real fast. I do know that my graphics card is an nvidia Geforce 2 (32 megs), my harddrive is 80 gigs, and i have a cdrw, and a dvd drive. I also have a floppy. Not sure what my ram is, my processor is, or what my sound card is. Hope that is enough. If not i'll do my best to find more.

Can you boot into your bios? Usually that is done by pressing delete or alt-delete or some such combo. It comes up as an option when you first turn your computer on. In case it happens too fast for the monitor to warm up, like it does on mine, boot up, amd then reboot. Get into the bios and on the first screen it will give you and us some valuable information. We need to know more in order to solve the problem, which I'm sure can be done with the info asked for.

I would, but Linux Red Hat isn't wanting to let me open the hardware browser... If not i'll do my best to find more.

cd /proc/

cat cpuinfo meminfo

cat mounts

cat pci

cat isapnp

ls ide/

... and so on, you have all the hardware info at hand in the /proc directory

Guest Juggalo702

Thanks for telling me about the bios. Here's what I found:

Intel Pentium 4 2.26 GHz

Bus speed 533 MHz

Memory Speed 266 MHz

Ram 512 KB

Memory 512 KB

1st Atapi Cd-Rom [_NEC CD-RW NR-9200A]

2nd Atapi Cd-Rom [LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163]

That's all. Anyway, this computer is a Vpr Matrix. I got it from Best Buy. If this is not enough, write back. This is all i could find.

I think you might have an Intel 845E motherboard. But before going into that I would like to confirm that is the case. Run the following command from a console:

$ lspci

You should get about a dozen lines or so depending on your hardware configuration. On the line that says "Host bridge" see if there is any reference to "845 (Brookdale) Chipset". Also, go down a few lines to "IDE interface" and see if there is any reference to "ICH4 IDE".

This particular chipset is common with P4 computers and is known to have some real issues with the kernel used in Mandrake 9.0 (kernel 2.4.19) and some other recent distros. However, this hardware runs fine under Redhat 8.0 and will also run fine under the upcoming Md9.1 release which uses a 2.4.20 kernel which fixes all these issues.