installing and configuring lexmark 4200

gem-in-eyez

I just bought the new lexmark 4200 (4 in 1 printer). I installed it succssfully on windows and was able to share it to other window clients (my laptop being the network tester for both windows and linux).

Now I installed mandrake 9.0 on another pc to set up as a server. at the end of the install I was asked if I wanted to install a printer. I chose yes and the 3 options that were provided for me:

1) detect and install locally

2) detect and install from a local share ( I take it as a linux share)

3) detect and install from a windows share through samba

when I chose the 3 it was not able to detect nor install...obviously....

So I connected it locally to my new mandrake server.

It was able to detect when I chose the 1st option but there are no drivers in the list for it.

So I chose no to install and when it booted I saw some of the posts here and found that I could use a default driver for it from windows but this was from another printer I have (lexmark z515)

the other post mentioned that I could use cups.

I started to use the cups but found that I do not know what the usb name is for attaching the device. If some knows pls tell me.... this is as far as I have gotten with cups.

I then tried webmin, and for printer destination there is no option for usb. the only thing I can think of is null so I chose that and now for some reason my box is not communicating with the internet to otry and update the software that is on it in order to retry.

So if anyone is knowledgable with lexmarks and printer installations please help me if you can.

thanks alot ppl!

PS. the attachment is just a screenshot of webmins options that it gave me.

this is what dmesg gave regarding usb

"usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs

usb.c: registered new driver hub

usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 18:49:04 Sep 20 2002

usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled

PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:1f.2

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1f.2 to 64

usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xff80, IRQ 11

usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports

usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1

hub.c: USB hub found

hub.c: 2 ports detected

usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver

usbdevfs: remount parameter error

EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.17, 10 Jan 2002 on ide0(3,1), internal journal

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 2

usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x43d/0x8a) is not claimed by any active driver."

Edited by gem-in-eyez

I tend to normally use the KDE configuration utility for cups within Configure Your Desktop, Peripherals, Printing. I click Administration mode and then add the printer through here.

If the driver isn't listed, I check http://www.linuxprinting.org for a driver that I can add into cups. Unfortunately, the closest I can get to the 4200 is this:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer....um=Lexmark-4076

you might have to wait a while since the printer is new, and it may come available soon. I don't know if the above driver is close enough to make a good match for printing. Or take it back, and buy a HP printer, as these are usually supported by Linux no problem. I would check first though, just to make sure whatever model you have in mind has support within Linux, especially when they are brand new. New hardware is always a bit of a lottery as to whether you'll get it to work straightaway with Linux, or whether you will have to wait a little while before you can do something with it.

awesome will read up on it then.

can you then tell me just off the bat what the port name for a usb device is ? like a printer on parallel is lpt so what would the equivalent be for a usb port?

and I was thinking then to just have it placed on my 2k box and share it since that is where I originally installed it on. now when I do the smbclient -L I get this...

Domain=[KRYNN] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment

--------- ---- -------

IPC$ IPC Remote IPC

print$ Disk Printer Drivers

iis Disk

NETLOGON Disk Logon server share

D Disk

Lexmark-Fax Printer Lexmark 4200 Series

ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin

SYSVOL Disk Logon server share

C$ Disk Default share

Server Comment

--------- -------

KRYNN-SVR

LAP

LINUXBOX Linux Box Samba Server (mandrake)

RIPPA

Workgroup Master

--------- -------

KRYNN KRYNN-SVR

MDKGROUP APACHE

how do I then join it with the simple server name and share name and post it in my webmin? reason is that i am skeptical now about anymore tweaking since I lost the ability to connect to the net with this particular box when other clients in my router can.

Either way bro, I appreciate the quick response and help you gave me so far.

Thanks again!

You can use swat for configuring samba stuff, urpmi swat. This is then accessible through your web browser. I've used it briefly on Red Hat, but I've not used samba much, so not sure what to suggest other than that.

The FAQ section here has some info on samba, so that might help also.

yeah i checked some of it out but still none of it really works...i get my printer name and all but when I use webmin to add it it just tells me that the printer name is not valid ...wierd since I specified what the share name would be an all..

awesome news about the swat..i will try it on my box and let you know.

Oh and how do I connect to the swat with the browser. like cups but on another port?

also do you recall the command that tells you what ports u are using or are being used or are active at the moment on your system? :-)

thanks bro!

Edited by gem-in-eyez

I can't remember what port, but you could use:

netstat -tan

before and after installing and running swat to find out what port it's on. I'll have a quick google now see if I can find out which port.

EDIT:

Port 901.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-1035709.html#

nice....I tried the install of it and I think it went successfully.

However as I have been reading up on it, it appears that by using this swat application, that it will remove unnecessary comments in my samba.conf file to make it easier to read and byt doing so it may inadvertantly remove a setting or paramater that may be needed without me knowing. I am kinda hesitant to use it but I will create a test box for it to be installed on used first.

I was also thinking about changing the printer, but seeing how I got this one for what I think is a deal ($149.99) I think I am going to stick with it. I looked in to the HP models that they have and they are quite more $$$. A bit more $$$ than I want to spend right now for my lab environment.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku....734F35E9763D9A6

I will do a bit more searching on the net first and see if there may be some sort of an alternative.

For now I need to brush up on what the ports are called that the system sees when installing it. I know lpt is the common one, but it is the usb that I need to figure out. I need to figure this out in order to map a destination to my printer. But thanks again for the info on swat & the port number.

Wanted to say thanks for the info on that printer there.

not sure why that is but you seemed to be right I have found drivers for the model 4076, where as when I go to the Lexmark canadian & US and Australian website I get the model 4270. I will give it a try on a test pc and see how it goes and let you know.

thnx!