Trying to run wvdial in the background lags my mouse

Steve Scrimpshire

I'm sure this is a software problem. I'm running Gnome/Sawfish and I have a Microsoft Optical PS/2 mouse and I set up wvdial to run in the background using the modem_lights applet in Gnome (with the command 'wvdial &') That sends it to tty1, which is the same vt that I login to and startx from, so I thought that might be causing my problems. So, I changed the command in modem_lights to 'open -c 2 /usr/bin/wvdial' to send it to tty2, but I still get the same mouse lag/hang for a few seconds while it does it's thing. Once I'm logged into the net and pppd is started the mouse fixes itself until I click to disconnect (command is 'killall wvdial') and the mouse lags/hangs until the process is killed. I'm running an AMD 750 with an NVidia Riva TNT (32 MB) video card with the latest NVidia drivers built from *.src.rpm and 384 MB RAM (PC100):

omar:~/tmp> free

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached

Mem:        386140     370692      15448          0      73272     185576

-/+ buffers/cache:     111844     274296

Swap:       240932      27924     213008

I also should add that if I get booted from the net and wvdial does its auto-reconnect thing, I get the same mouse lag/hang. It's just an annoyance, but if anyone knows why or how I can tweak it, I would greatly appreciate it. TIA.