Installation failures & Digikam problem

sofasurfer

When you want to change urpmi sources you use easy urpmi. But when you want to change the sources for the package installation through MCC how do you do it? Or does package installation use the same sources as urpmi?

The reason I ask is that I am still getting installation failure messages.

I just downloaded digikam. Got this message...'problem during installation:...Retrieving failed: wget failed: Exited with 0 or signal 6'. But the program was installed because I configured it. But when downloading pics from my camera I got a error that said 'Failed to download file DCP_0002.jpg'

What to do?

package installation uses the same sources as what you set up with easy-urpmi. there were some issues with the repo addresses in our easy-urpmi lists, which was just fixed to do. try re-adding your sources to be sure they are correct.

the second issue, with downloading pics from your camera, is likely unrelated to the software installation issue. i don't have any advice on that as i haven't used digikam.

I removed my media sources and reinstalled them using the Paris Proxad.net mirror. I them re-urpmi'd digikam and still got this message...'There was a problem during installation: ...retrieving failed: wget failed: exited with 0 or signal 6'.

However, digikam is installed because it is in the multimedia menu. I ran it and selected a picture to download and got this message... 'Failed to download DCP-0002.jpg'.

Madriva 2006

Kodak DX3700

I'm really getting discouraged. For all the raving about how wonderful rpms and easy urpmi are, I don't see the advantage if they don't work. Or is it the distro that doesn't work? I know my pc is good. I know many other people have this same problem. I don't see a solution. Theres a flaw somewhere. Is anyone caring?

I wouldn't be here trying to help you if I didn't care...but I don't have any experience with digikam myself, so i'm grabbing at straws on my end too. as far as the urpmi issue, i'm not sure what's happening there, it may be that the file no longer exists on the mirror for one reason or another. and don't get me started on urpmi/rpm ;) they are part of the reason I stopped using mandriva!

Ok, let's try this approach. Open up a terminal, and from the terminal run "digikam", and then attempt to download a picture and see if it gives you any more descriptive errors in the terminal. post any errors from there here, hopefully it will help us get a better idea of the problem. and hopefully someone with more experience with digikam will swing in and help us out ;)

Errors with retrieving with wget/curl are most likely to be network related, and nothing to do with urpmi, even though it's urpmi you are using.

Are you sure your connection is configured correctly? Does web browsing work fine? Can you connect to the ftp mirror manually and download normally? Do you have you system configured with http and ftp proxies?

I noticed today when using ftp proxy, that it fails for plf mirrors to download, I get a curl error. But when not using ftp proxy, it's fine. As I'm unsure of how your networking is setup I can't say for sure where your problem is?

Did you disable ipv6 as well? This could also be a source of the problems. Just edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add:

alias net-pf-10 off

save it, reboot and see if it's any better. Also, what network card do you have?

1) As far as connection config goes, I can browse as I always have. No problems.

2) Ok, I uninstalled digikam.

3) I changed the /etc/modprobe.conf file as recommended above. Here is my /etc/modprobe.conf file...

remove snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1

install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /bin/true

alias net-pf-10 offblacklist audio

(What is the reason for a file called /etc/modprobe.conf and another called /etc/modprobe.conf~? What is the tilde thing for?)

4) I don't know what you mean when you say 'Do you have your system configured with http and ftp proxies?'.

5) I did a 'urpmi digikam' (the previous digikam installs were through MCC).

I got no error this time.

6) I ran digikam from terminal. Here is my result...

[daryl@localhost ~]$ digikam

QMultiInputContext::changeInputMethod(): index=0, slave=xim

gp_port_write: Broken pipe

7) When downloading pics I got the same error as before...

'Failed to download DCP-0002.jpg'

Thanks in advance...

• 3 months later...

I can only say I got the same error with my Kodak cx7530. Instead I use gphoto2 from the CLI to get the pics.

I connect the cam and start it, then:

gphoto2 -L /store_00010001/DCIM/100K7530
gphoto2 --folder=/store_00010001/DCIM/100K7530 --get-file=X-Y

And now Digikam working? without digital camera, uploading, loading, create and other plugins. You needed digikamimageplugins, kipi and other. But is You can problem with URPMI this is shock. Repeir this ....Lex

Edited by Lexicon

(What is the reason for a file called /etc/modprobe.conf and another called /etc/modprobe.conf~? What is the tilde thing for?)

/etc/modprobe.conf~ is a backup older version of the file before you edited it

alias net-pf-10 offblacklist audio

should be:

alias net-pf-10 off

blacklist audio