nvidia driver (upgrading problem)

bigjohn

So, I'm supposed to be running mandriva 2006, with KDE 3.5.2 (as kindly provided at the MDE mirror facilities).

Now I've managed to kill this system 2 or 3 times over the last 2 or 3 days.

The problem seems to surround the new nvidia driver version (8756). Initially, it was when I was getting the upgrades for kde 3.5.2 from MDE - I worked this out after killing the system the first time.

OK, to my idiot level knowledge meant that I had to re-install the 2006 completely and then re-do the install of the kde 3.5.2 so after screwing the system a couple of times more it did seem nvidia 8756 related.

I did my updates this evening - everything except the nvidia driver (the original version, 7676 - was from the boxed set 2006 powerpack I installed from originally).

Eventually I plucked up the courage to try the 8756 version as provided by MDE, but it told me that there was a problem with the install.

So I tried again. It asked me about 1 of 2 possible dependencies - I told it OK, but it said that there was still a conflict with the original 7676 version.

Being a smart-arse, I thought "ha, ha! I'll just go to nvidia.com and get it from there. I know I've got the kernel and kernel-sources OK".

So I then did the "init 3" thing and ran the sh NVIDIA-Linux blah blah blah command. Everything seemed to be going well, until I try to go back to "init 5".

Now it seems that there is no /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so - I've tried digging through but as far as I can see, the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia seems to be an empty directory - I can see a libglx.so at /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions but my xorg.conf definitely says /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so

The libglx.so at /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions has a little arrow on the corner of the icon - is that a symlink?? If I then try to open it, the system tells me it's a binary and saving it is .......etc etc.

So am I supposed to copy the libglx.so to the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so or something ?

Or is there some way of getting rid of the newer version of the nvidia driver and reverting to the older original one ??

How can I sort this please ?

regards

John

p.s. Oh and I'm posting this from the kanotix live CD that I happen to have hanging around.

load ¨/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so¨

is left over from the plf install

load ¨glx¨

should be the line, put a # before load ¨/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so¨ and insert load ¨glx¨ (btw sometimes the nvidia bla bla. run from nvidia fails to re- install and only removes the old driver install, change your xorg.conf and if it doesn´t wotk give reinstalling nvidia blabla. run a try or two)