Proftpd Help Please

Guest copex

Hi

im new to the world of Linux but I am learning slowly

Im trying to set up proftpd and I am looking for some help

I have proftpd working and I am able to login to my web root.

I have installed a new HD, what I am looking to do is ....

ftp for one user with password no anon access to /home1/ftp1 and if possible a second with muliti user access to /home1/ftp2/ again with password and no anon access I all so what a single user to access /var/www (web root) again single user with no anon access.

I don’t want any user to be able to get out of there home directory or view any of the other ftp`s ect

I (think) know how to set up one user ftp sites, but I am unsure how to set up one with muliti user’s, I also want to only allow uploading to a upload dir on ftp1/2

the other thing I want to know if it is possible to limit the number of files any one in the muliti user ftp (ftp2) can download in one day or set a byte limit for each user, and any way of seeing what each user has downloaded and the last question, how to set up the number of logins to each site.

thank you for any help you can provide,

all the best

c

thank you for the link, though i have been there and read the FAQ & Docs but i am still un sure :-)

on a differnt point i get error 500 when trying to connect to the proftpd via the net (useing my isp ip addy), i can connect via the local lan with out any problem, i enabled port 21 on my friewall "shorewall" . if i go to grc.com and check the port`s it tels me port 21 is open

HELP ME......

I don’t want any user to be able to get out of there home directory or view any of the other ftp`s ect

this one i know. :#:

check the proftpd configuration file and somewhere near the end you will see a commented section named jailroot or something. set it to '~' or $HOME and your users cant get out of the specified directory (in this case their own home directories).

but you probably have solved this already as it is in the docs and faq. :#:

ciao!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest copex

hi

i have managed to set up proftpd : :lol: :lol: :lol:

I nead to setup user accounts, now i presume that i add a new user and make them a member of the grp i created for the ftpserver ??

the only consern i have is security, i have put root in /ect/ftpusers and all so set allow root to logint to no in proftpd, anno access to the server is disallowed and when i setup the main ftp user i set shell to false, is there anything else i should do, i dont want any user accouts i set up to beable to logon to linux as a user i only want them to be able to access the ftp server, i have a firewall up and running.

thanx in advance

copex