Running KDM from CTRL-ALT-F1?

Guest cid

I happen to notice, when I logout of Mdk 9.0, that I get a quick flash of the Virtual Console, right before KDM comes up and asks me who I want to log in as.

How does MDK do this?

I have been working on a script to auto-launch startx for people when they log into the Virtual Console, figuring out what session to run, and printing a reminder of who's session can be reached where (i.e what session CTRL-ALT-F7/8/9 point to)

But when I logged out and saw the VC flash up before KDM, I'm thinking, there must be someway I can tell my system to do the same when I try to go to CTRL-ALT-F1, right?

Anyone have any idea of how to do this?

D

I don't know much about this, but I do know that when an x session is started, a /tmp/.X*-lock file is created with the pid inside where * is the display number and the file's group is the user who started the x session. For example, my :0 is Ctrl-Alt-F9 . Maybe you could use sed to determine what number the display is for each user? Example:

$ls -l /tmp/.X* | grep omar 

-r--r--r--    1 root     omar           11 Feb 20 23:50 /tmp/.X0-lock

srwxrwxrwx    1 root     omar            0 Feb 20 23:50 X0=

Then you could use sed to extract the number after .X of the filename. I'm no bash scripter.

That will be much easier than the way I am currently doing it...

Basically looking at who and cutting down to the user, and removing multiple entries.

Lots of loops to do this.

That /tmp/.X* will absolutely rock!

D