I TRIED DUAL BOOT MY PC WITH WINXP & MANDRIVA LINUX 2006

C:\WINXP (NTFS)

D:\MANDRIVA (DON'T KNOW)

E:\DATA (NTFS)

AFTER INSTALLATION, LILO LOADS AND BOTH WINXP AND MANDRIVA LINUX BOOT FINE,

INSTALL GHOST 2005 AND CREATED 2 GHOST IMAGES FOR BOTH C: AND D:

REBOOT, LILO LOADS, SELECT MANDRIVA LINUX TO BOOT,

MANDRIVA LINUX FREEZE AT LOADING,

HERE IS WHAT I GOT... SEE ATTACHMENT FOR PICTURE...post-14605-1144893072_thumb.jpg

PLEASE HELP ME

moved from Forum Discussion by mystified

Considering you are new to linux, I think the best solution to this issue at this point would be to do a reinstall of mandriva, assuming you won't loose any important data doing so. it's possible that something got messed up when you make the image of it, though I'm not sure what it may have been.

and please take mysti's advice. writing in all caps is considered bad netiquette.

Guest js703
Considering you are new to linux, I think the best solution to this issue at this point would be to do a reinstall of mandriva, assuming you won't loose any important data doing so. it's possible that something got messed up when you make the image of it, though I'm not sure what it may have been.

and please take mysti's advice. writing in all caps is considered bad netiquette.

Thanks for your advice, but believe or not, this is not the first time it happened.

I've tried it 3 or 4 times clean install both OS... still stuck...

I installed Windows XP, then Mandriva Linux... both boot fine and work.

then after I imaged the drives... mandriva linux won't boot after lilo menu selection...

Please help or let me know if need infomation requaired to investigate this issue.

it seems like however you ghost the drive is causing the issue. are you ghosting it from within windows? where are you saving the file to? is it necessary that you make an image of it? would you consider using a tool other than norton ghost, if that's an option?

from the messages, it looks like your root filesystem is initially mounted ext2 and then later during boot it tries to mount it as ext3. norton ghost should tell you what type of partition it is, and that would help us run down the problem.

Guest jammrk

I had the same problem with 10.1, the issue is that ext3 is not compiled into the kernel, but is a module. Recompile the kernel with ext3 or whatever filesystem(I recommend reiser fs, much faster than ext3) included into the kernel(not as a module). Then ghost the partitions.

Edited by jammrk

Guest js703

I love all your ideas, but is there a simply solution to this?

I hate Windows yet I still haven't see the beauty of Linux at this point.

Let me know what to try or what to provide for better solutions.

it seems like however you ghost the drive is causing the issue. are you ghosting it from within windows? where are you saving the file to? is it necessary that you make an image of it? would you consider using a tool other than norton ghost, if that's an option?

from the messages, it looks like your root filesystem is initially mounted ext2 and then later during boot it tries to mount it as ext3. norton ghost should tell you what type of partition it is, and that would help us run down the problem.

I really hope it's not Ghost that's causing the problems.

Yes, I ghosting it from the windows and save the file to e:\ which don't conflict with d:

And yes, I need to make backup image in case things go wrong and I had to clean install from scratch AGAIN !!!

Norton ghost seems to be the only software recommand so I don't know what else I can trust.

Ghost tells me nothing other than there's a partition ... doesn't even recongnize what file system it is.

Thanks for your input.... but I need a fix still.

I had the same problem with 10.1, the issue is that ext3 is not compiled into the kernel, but is a module. Recompile the kernel with ext3 or whatever filesystem(I recommend reiser fs, much faster than ext3) included into the kernel(not as a module). Then ghost the partitions.

Recompile the kernel? Only wish I know HOW ???

Sorry, I have no idea how to do it.... let me know, would you?

Thanks a lot

You are running Ghost whilst Windows is running? Hmm. I've used ghost extensively, particular Ghost 7.0, 7.5 and 8.0. Ghost is usually run from booting from a floppy disk and/or CD-ROM and then creating the image. I used it in conjunction with networking and PXE boot as well, so something far more complex.

How big is your C: partition? I wouldn't bother attempting to Ghost the Linux partition, only Windows. I would suggest making a bootable floppy, and then creating the ghost image, and using your CD/DVD writer and put the image for your Windows partition on there.

Ghost will not recognise the Linux partition format, because it is the Windows version and not Ghost for Linux. Therefore, by using this, you will be doing a sector copy of the Linux partition. This means that it will backup the whole partition and not the data. An example below:

Your Windows partition is 10GB but you are only using 4GB. Therefore, when using Ghost, it will only ghost the 4GB of data, but remember that the partition size was 10GB.

Your Linux partition is 10GB, Ghost cannot see in the partition, so will do a sector copy, and create an image of 10GB (or 5 x 2GB images).

Linux is not like Windows. Sure it can have problems and not boot, but the majority of them are recoverable. Also, if you split your home partition from your Linux partition, you will only have to reinstall the operating system which will take about 30 minutes. Your data would have been on a separate Linux partition called /home and will be safe and there once your operating system is up and running.

If you have to ghost the Linux partition, get Ghost for Linux. Otherwise, don't bother, it's causing you too many problems, and your images will be too large based on the data they actually contain.

Guest js703

First of all, I would like to thank you for the valuable opinion.

Now that I think twice about what you said, I would NOT need to creat backup image for Linux consider it's much more stable than windows and less likely to hang on me. Just for windows only...

I suppose I should ghost my windows outside of windows environment but new version of ghost states that you could and there won't be a problem; so far it does work.

I've decided to recovery my C drive (windows partition) back to the state when I just finished installing both windows and mandriva linux; I am crossing my finger and pray that this will bring back my Linux boot up.

I will post more on what happen later tomorrow.

Thanks once again ~

One thing you might want to try is this.

1. Ghost Windows.

2. Install Linux.

That way, you won't affect the booting of Linux should it still fail when you ghost Windows. Note that if you recover Windows, you will lose your lilo bootloader, but this is no major problem. You can just boot from your Mandriva CD, and choose rescue mode and then recover the bootloader, and you're back in business again.

Guest js703

This sounds like a great idea, I am more experience in windows environment but almost no experience in linux. I've tried booting from my Mandriva CD and choose rescue mode... but don't know how to recover the bootloader from there... I can't seem to locate my LILO or the config file ... I've checked all the directories... weird..

Normally, I just boot with:

linux rescue

at which point you should be prompted with a menu to then recover the bootloader. You can do it manually which requires mounting the partitions, but it requires that you know which partition your version of Linux is installed on, and which disk, etc, etc. Normally, Mandriva defaults to /dev/hda5, but you would have to check this first by booting Mandriva normally and having a look at your /etc/fstab file.

I've decided to recovery my C drive (windows partition) back to the state when I just finished installing both windows and mandriva linux; I am crossing my finger and pray that this will bring back my Linux boot up.

Just a note of interest: recovering your windows partition should not effect your linux partition, unless for some reason the two partitions are conflicting with their start and end sectors (overlapping, basically). I don't believe this was the issue you were running into. Following ians suggestions should get you were you need to be ;)

(I still want to know why Norton Ghost was messing with your Mandriva partition - according to the website 2005 supports ext3 - and other linux filesystems - so there is no Linux version anymore as ian suggests, but perhaps that is one of those questions we won't get an answer to :-/)

Guest js703

Hi everyone,

For those who post a respond to my question, thank you again.

For those who's still looking into the problem, thank you as well.

New Updates:

After I performed a recovery for my c: drive, containing windows xp system stuff and mbr,

LILO menu loads fine as before, and my Mandriva Linux boots up !!!

I am guessing it's not really Norton Ghost which messed my LILO config file.

Now that I think back, I did run Speed Disk Optimizer in Norton System Works to defrage my C:.

It might be the cause of why my Mandriva Linux won't load or boot up properly.

I am still doing a little test to double check. (even though I don't want to mess my Linux boot up again)

Thanks again everyone ~