making the switch [solved]

StandardsDT

hey everyone i have a few questions about installing the mandriva one cd. i just recently came to the conclusion that linspire sucks. i love the layout and all but i hate how they bound everyone to CNR. i tried apt-get and synpatic and it just ruined linspire. luckily i got it during their freespire promotional back in september, i just didnt have the time to set it up or anything. well after having it installed for 3 or 4 days now ive had nothing but trouble with it. so here are my questions as i tried over at the ubuntu forum. i was originally going to try that out but went with mandriva instead. no one was really helpful at all. my post mainly gets ignored now.

first question is can i install mandriva right over linspire? if not how can i get rid of it? i dont have a Windows XP disc so wiping out the hard drive is not an option.

i can follow the directions linspire gives on their site but their saying i need the xp disc to fix the mbr. but with 98 you need no disc and can use the fdisk command in command prompt and walla its fixed. can i do the same exact thing with windows xp?

what should my biggest concerns be with the install?

also does mandriva come with the grub at all or no?

if i think of anymore questions ill be sure to post them.

- Dave

Welcome aboard. :beer:

As it is late over here (1.01 am) and I wanted to get some sleep, here are some fast answers.

1. Yes, you can install over Linspire, once the partition got reformatted. Mandriva has its own partitioning tool that you will use during the installation. Set up /, /home and swap and that's it. Let the system only partition the root partition if you have a /home partition already and want to keep the files stored there. I guess that the default Mandriva partitioner is available in MDV ONE, too.

2. No need to fix the MBR. Mandriva should set up a working dualboot system by default.

3. Mandriva has both lilo and grub as bootloaders. Chances are that you will have both options in the live-CD, too. Mandriva is usually able to restore a Windows bootloader itself, if needed.

4. Biggest concern: Back up any important data (as always when installing new systems): Apart from that: nothing really.

If you have more questions, just ask. We don't bite. :D

Thank You for your kind welcome to the boards :) That actually answered pretty much all the questions I had. Only other question I have that I got some what lost on is when you said

Set up /, /home and swap and that's it. Let the system only partition the root partition if you have a /home partition already and want to keep the files stored there

what do you mean by this?