I did this...

[root@localhost Download]# rpm -i cdfs-0.5c-1.i686.rpm

and I got this...

package cdfs-0.5c-1 is already installed

Then I did this...

[root@localhost Download]# rpm -V cdfs-0.5c-1.i686.rpm

and I got this...

package cdfs-0.5c-1.i686.rpm is not installed

This is a i686 package. I am running AMD Duron 1.2 gig.

Am I wrong to install a i686 package? Its the only rpm package I could find.

cdfs is a kernel module, so you should NOT install this RPM.

If you are sure you need it (although I fail to see why you need an obsoleted kernel module- last revision of it was some four years ago) you should get the source RPM:

http://rpmseek.com/rpm/cdfs-0.5c-1.src.htm...0:1611101:0:0:0

And rebuild it for your system (if you haven't set a user rebuild directory and permissions, do it as root):

rpm --rebuild cdfs*.src.rpm

All that said, the KDE virtual filesystem has all the functionality of cdfs, plus more...

The reason for my interest in CDFS is that I have some cds that were save with Adaptec. They have since been glitched by an audio track mysteriously appearing on each of them. Now the original images on the disk are inaccessible.

"Aha!!" he says.

Yes, I have a problem. And so far it looks like I'll never figure it out. I have seen quite a few websites on cdfs and I'm not a bit closer to understanding how to install it let alone run it.

Any thoughts on that?

CDFS will read normal UDF 1.5 formatted packet writer CD's, but not the (proprietary and out of any specification) Adaptec DirectCD crap (which is a stupid multisession variation, where the usable part is the one which cannot be accessed- go figure)...

Simply save your data somewhere on a windoze PC which has the Adaptec UDF packet reader installed, and don't mess with it again- not because it's nonstandard and almost undocumented, but simply because packet writing on rewritables is not reliable at all, no matter what operating system you are using!

Edited by scarecrow

If the simple tactics worked I wouldn't be trying (hopelessly) to install cdfs.

My cds have jpgs on them. No software that I have will even read the disk. They got glitched somehow. When I put them in the cd player, K3B opens on my desktop. Thats as far as I can go. In Winblows, with the trial version of ISOBuster, all the files are read and displayed as thumbnails. But the trial version will not allow saving of the files. I would need to purchase the key to save the files. I was hoping cdfs would be equal to the full version of ISOBuster.

ISOBuster should allow you to extract the files from the disk, or at least I think so. I've used it to extract the boot image no problem.

Maybe try something called WinISO, this may work. I don't know any Linux versions, sorry.

The free version of ISOBuster does not allow extracting files from UDF volumes- only the commercial/registered one does. WinISO is ultrabuggy and commercial (do NOT use it!), but the trial version of UltraISO may work (not sure, because I have registered UltraISO some time ago, and I use the full version, which is able ripping UDF volumes, including DirectCD ones).