Boot loader

cherryelky305

im running mandriva on one hard drive and when i want to use it i switch the harddrive out completely, when i want to use windows i switch the harddrive. My mainboard only has two open spots for harddrives but i have three.

1. windows

2. shared files

3. linux

i never use the linux HD and the windows HD at the same time. My question is if i could plug the shared drive into a usb would i beable to dual boot windows and mandriva? How risky is this considering mandriva doesent really know i have windows because i dident intend to dual boot when i installed.

Should i just use jumpers to say the linux drive is the master and the windows drive is the slave? would that work?

you mean you physically switched the hard drive or just doin it via the BIOS?..

anyway, try this one.. tried it on GRUB Bootloader

attach the LINUX HD as primary Master and the Windows HD as Secondary Master, the shared Stuff as the Secondary Slave. then if you can do that... try to boot on Mandy Lnux, then edit Grub

the easy way to edit is via CLI ( :P )

anyway, what ever way you can edit it, just add the following entry below on you /boot/grub/menu.lst

default with entries for linux only.. it could be different with yours..

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
default 5

title linux
kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda1 splash=silent
initrd (hd0,4)/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda1

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda1 devfs=nomount

so add the following..

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1

then save the file with that entry and restart and check if that new grub entry will work....

Edited by aioshin

ok i just got a ide to usb cable so im going to try this. Im using lilo and i have to set linux up as the master HD and windows as the slave. and i have to "edit" lilo so it knows which HD windows is on right? im just learning my command line vocab so im alittle underpar compared to most people reading this. any help is greatly thanked.

Windows needs to be the primary boot device or it won't boot. Linux does not care which device it is on. Whether it is a slave device or not is irrelevent; but windows must think it is on the primary boot device in order to boot.