How to safely update to glibc-2.4

Patkos Csaba

I downloaded some programes that require glibc 2.4. I also downloaded glibc 2.4 ... rpm and glibc-common ... rpm. When I try to install them it says that it will be in conflict with several other libraries and programs.

My question is: IT IS SAFE TO FORCE AN INSTALL REGUARDING THE CONFLICTS? If no, how shoul I proceed to install the new glibc-2.4 ???

it would be better if you install it via urpmi, so it will handle the dependencies correctly.

I tried it. I set up about 4-5 ftp sources for urpmi. The problem is:

- I can not find on any update server glibc 2.4 ... only glibc 2.3.x for mandriva

- When I try : urpmi ./glibc2.4.xxxx-i386.rpm (downloaded from rpmfind.net) it does something wrong ... 100% CPU ... I've let it "work" for over 40 minutes ... it shows no status ... nothing. If I try the same thing with glibc-common2.4xxxx-i386.rpm urpmi returns a lot of conflicts ... about 1000 lines of strange dependency/conflict errors.

Is there any way of installing these classic rpm's without risking the hole system's stability? I experienced very unpleasent things a few years ago with a bad installation/update of glibc and gcc. Please send me some advise.