Amarok and xine-engine

Gul Dukat

Hi,

I'm currently running Mandriva 2006 x86_64 on my desktop. Now I would like to setup Amarok by using the xine-engine. I've tried playing mp3's with it, but it seems to hang. I can play them using the aRts-engine. Is this a common bug with Amarok and Mandriva 2006 x86_64 or am I doing something wrong? By the way, I'm using Amarok version 1.3.1.

Any help would be appreciated.

win32codecs, as well as several other things, do not work under x86_64, and xine plays back MP3's using (AFAIK) that particular codecs.

Oke, I understand. But when installing win32codecs with easy-urpmi from only x86_64-sources, there is a i586-version installed. Does this mean that the i586-version also doesn't work when installed on a x86_64-system?

And does this also apply on the xine-engine for amarok? I would find this a little bit strange, because there is x86_64-version of the xine-engine installed with amarok. The aRts-engine works with no problems.

Edited by Gul Dukat

Xine does work under 64-bit OS, but most win codecs do not. I guess the win32codecs package for x86_64 includes only the ones found working... I won't sware, as I don't have any 64-bit machine to verify.

Arts/KDE uses (unless I'm mistaken) libmad for decoding MP3's, which is a native *nix library.

Edited by scarecrow