Celestia on mandriva 2006

sofasurfer

Now that I'm on madriva 2006 I just dowbwnloaded Celestia again. Same result...'Installation failure'. But this time when I tried to start celestia it actually did start. But then I try to maximize the screen and my session closes down and a new session starts. So I tried to drag the screnn bigger and that worked. So what could be happening now? I'm not complaining cause, like I said, it works so far. Just wondering. I'll try using it after work to see if all is well.

Open up a terminal su to root and type (I think it's better to do it as root): glxgears

->

su root

glxgears

--------

You should get well over a 1000 (1800>) if gl is enabled.

I may be wrong about the number, but it should run smootlhy and crispy

p.s. Have you installed 3d drivers for your graphics card?

If you haven't, then you don't have hardware GL enabled.

glxgears are to test the gl performance if you have installed the 3d drivers and you have a suspicion that they are not working properly

I almost accomplished the installation of IA32 driver last night but will definately get it tonight.

Question... Why is it nessessary to have the kernel source installed in order to setup the IA32 driver?

It says most setups already have it but I do not, so I must install it.

Also, when doing a 'urpmi kernel-source' it gives me an option of choosing one of three packages. Which do I choose?

Edited by sofasurfer

You need the kernel-sources that exactly match your running kernel. To see what that is:

$ cat /proc/version

You should get an output that looks similar to this:

$ cat /proc/version

Linux version 2.6.11-7.mm.18mdk (peroyvind@n4.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version 3.4.1 (Mandrakelinux 10.1 3.4.1-4mdk)) #2 Mon May 23 06:13:06 CEST 2005