Hauppauge DV card

null

I just bought a Panasonic miniDV camcorder. It has a usb connection for moving still pics to your computer, just like any digital camera. It also has a "dv" (firewire) connection to download videos to your computer. My linux box doesn't have a fw input.

Here is a description of the hauppauge DV card and what it can do (windoze of course):

* Output edited videos or record them back to DV tape

* Connect your DV camcorder to your PC through IEEE 1394 (Firewire)

* Convert your DV movies into compressed MPEG (up to 100:1) to use less hard disk space

* Edit your DV movies, add voice narrations, CD music and MP3 audio clips

* Burn your DV movies onto CD-ROM and play them back on home DVD players

* Connect your DV camcorder to your PC through IEEE 1394 (Firewire)

* Convert your DV movies into compressed MPEG (up to 100:1) to use less hard disk space

* Edit your DV movies, add voice narrations, CD music and MP3 audio clips

* Burn your DV movies onto CD-ROM and play them back on home DVD players

* Output edited videos or record them back to DV tape

My question is... can the editing of my dv movies be done under linux, and can the burning to CD-Roms or DVDs be done with linux, and how about the conversion of my dv movies to mpeg ??

thanks !!

PS: i have another thread under Software regarding capturing video from VCRs or Laserdisc players onto a linux box, and then burning a DVD. Devries recommended getting a hauppauge TV card. Is there ONE card that would do the video capturing like that AND also the video camera stuff I am asking about in this thread...?

Use Kino. It can do most/all of the stuff you want. I don´t know about voice narration but you could just record that seperately and add it as an audio file to your project.

http://www.kinodv.org/article/static/2

Conversion: there is mencoder and others. There are Gui for mencoder (look at kde/look.org for examples) or use Avidemux. In avidemux you just click auto-dvd to create a dvd standard mpeg file.

One card: I´m not aware of one card that does DV and analog (it would need 2 tuners anyway). Your better off with a firewire card and an analag tv card like the hauppauge pvr 150.

That looks like it does whatever I want. I'm not really (at this time) into editing or stuff like that. For now, I just want to be able to download the movies from my miniDV camera onto my linux box, and then burn a DVD of them that I can watch on any DVD player.

Guess I'll pick up a pci firewire card for downloading from my digital camcorder, and also pick up a Hauppauge card for capturing video from a VCR or laserdisc player.

A buddy of mine is always bragging on his HP Media Center PC that he bought to do all this stuff on. It was something like $1400. My home-built linux box was less than $800, and even with these 2 new cards, it'll still be under $1000, plus all the software is free....!