Trouble installing rpms

sofasurfer

I was doing fine for a while and then as seen from some of my recent posts I am having a lot of trouble installing packages. I think I'm downloading ok but my installs give 'installation errors' accompanied by huge lists of missing packages. I have reinstalled system and it doesn't help.

I wanted to install drakxtools before and had trouble but then I finally got it to load and install. Don't remember what I did differant. Now I am having the same trouble with it again as well as other packages.

I have noticed that when I go to MCC>configure>software and click 'install' or uninstall it takes about a minute for the package list to come up. It did't used to take that long a few week ago. Could this indicate a problem?

Missing packages means you must have either misconfigured urpmi, or that a server at your repo list is down. What happens if you pick up another Mandriva mirror from easyurpmi.zarb.org and re-tune your repos?

BTW reinstalling for things like that is a gross mistake.

Edited by scarecrow

>Missing packages means you must have either misconfigured urpmi,

I have mandrake 10.1, therefore I configure urpmi with 10.1 community, i586 and urpmi. I check 'show specific sources and 'use compressed index'.

>What happens if you pick up another Mandriva mirror from easyurpmi.zarb.org and re-tune your repos?

I have used differant mirrors.

>BTW reinstalling for things like that is a gross mistake.

My life doesn't depend on my pc yet and my /home is backed up. Reinstalling may be unnessessary, but if I don't have a better idea the worst that can happen is that I get better at reinstalling.

Bah! so it's that old a version?

Most mirrors have removed 10.1 Official a couple of weeks ago, more so for 10.1 Community... EasyURPMI links shouldn't work, mostly.

You can still find a few major repos which hold 10.1 at their archives, say Contactel:

ftp://mandrake.redbox.cz/Mandriva-old/10.1

But of course you shouldn't expect newer builds, security updates etc, 10.1 is simply "End of Cycle" right now.

Edited by scarecrow

I have the same problem as sofasurfer, even if I have 2006.1. I have to download all the updates about 3 times before all is good. Haven't tried to change mirror yet. When I uninstall something, even if its just one small package, it takes a lot of time.

Also if you do that from the terminal without using MCC?

p.s. You are using Cooker, no wonder something is wrong (!), that's a development stage version;

try changing a mirror.

Edited by solarian

>Most mirrors have removed 10.1 Official a couple of weeks ago, more so for 10.1 Community... >EasyURPMI links shouldn't work, mostly.

So are you saying that even though I choose '10.1 community' when I use Easy URPMI, and even though the package list downloads, that I may not be given the full list that I was getting a month or so ago?

>You can still find a few major repos which hold 10.1 at their archives, say Contactel:

>ftp://mandrake.redbox.cz/Mandriva-old/10.1

I'll try this site.

>

>Mandriva 10.2 (or 2005 LE) is very stable and 2006.0 is not bad either,

>I suggest you switch to something newer, because I suspect that even those mirrors won't stay for much >longer.

I knew I'd have to switch someday. But you know what? When I hear that Mandrake has been changed to Mandrive because of a corporate takeover and now Mandrake won't be supported and theres an 'official' club and all that other cwap, I feel like I'm bending over for a commercialized gimmick that will really benifit only the corporation in the long run at the expense of having to live with a gimmicky name

I know that I now sound less like a sad programmer struggling to get it together and more like a conspiracy fanatic. I can't help it.

I've only ever used Mandrake. Can't switch to another distro. So, tell me, is Mandrive better, improved, easier or just wrapped in a differant box with a differant name?

But you know what? When I hear that Mandrake has been changed to Mandrive because of a corporate takeover and now Mandrake won't be supported and theres an 'official' club and all that other cwap, I feel like I'm bending over for a commercialized gimmick that will really benifit only the corporation in the long run at the expense of having to live with a gimmicky name

The name was changed because of a court ruling (copyrights on Mandrake name), not because of a takeover, and it actually was Mandrakesoft that bought Connectiva Linux.

But I understand what you mean and that's why I switched distros (kicking out the creator Gael Duval was the last straw) to Fedora Core 5 and I'm very pleased with the experience, in fact I'm already in love with FC, though it's not as newbie friendly as Mandriva.

But it is well understandable that old versions of Mandriva start to become unsuported, that is the case with all distros.

If you don't want to switch to other distro I suggest you try 2005LE, it's very stable indeed (my own experience), but 2006 is good too and it will be supported for longer than 2005LE

I have the same problem as sofasurfer, even if I have 2006.1. I have to download all the updates about 3 times before all is good. Haven't tried to change mirror yet. When I uninstall something, even if its just one small package, it takes a lot of time.

Not 100% sure what you mean, but 2006.1 is Cooker, and on Cooker there is no "updates" repo! The whole RPM repo system gets updated almost daily, and you have to refresh and install the newest-and-not-greatest at least twice a week. Same applies for all bleeding edge Linuxes (Fedora, Debian Sid/Kanotix, Arch... you name it). Granted that bleeding edge distros have certain advantages, but they are quite "hot" to handle for some...

>

>If you don't want to switch to other distro I suggest you try 2005LE, it's very stable indeed (my own >experience), but 2006 is good too and it will be supported for longer than 2005LE

>

Why do you recommend 2005LE when 2006 is newer?

Edited by sofasurfer

I'm confused about this 'club' business. I have NO interest in joining a club and paying to use Linux. Can I or can I not have as good a system with 10.2 or 2006 as I had (for a while) with 10.1?

In other words, does mandriva 10.2 and 2006 have everything I need, freely available to me? Are the 'club benifits' special things that I don't need, things that powerusers would want as toys, or are they things I will require?

>The Club was there long before 10.1, it's nothing new really and of course you can have a fully functional system without it.

>And I recommended 2005LE simply because of my long experience with it of being very stable. Besides 2006 has some problems with USB detection (at least for me).

>LE stands for Limited Edition, and it means you can't buy official support for it (not needed for home users anyway).