How to determine which device to mount for camera?

RVDowning

Using Mandriva 2006.

To be able to access my digital cam it seems I need to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add the following two instructions:

/etc/init.d/usb restart

/sbin/modprobe usb-storage

By the way, does the cam have to be plugged in before these instructions are executed at boot time? If it is not plugged in, do I have to plug it in and then execute the above commands manually?

It seems I also have to mount the device using:

mount -t vfat /dev/????????? /mnt/camera

How do I go about finding out what the device is that is to be mounted at /mnt/camera.

Edited by RVDowning

I see both hald running and gnome-volume-manager running, however the automounting of the cam I plug in just doesn't work. I have seen it work before on this system as well as on others, but it stopped working at some point in the last three months, and no one seems able to determine why, or what to do about it. (It has been 3 months since I last plugged in the cam, and it worked fine then.)

Also, it seems that usb is not automatically started, as well as usb-storage.

Maybe it will work again when I upgrade to Mandriva 2007 next year. So, since it doesn't work now, I'm looking for another way.

Edited by RVDowning

I've got the feeling that you are referring to PTP mode. My cam supports that also, along with a proprietary mode.) I could probably Google up on that. I think I may have this device issue answered though, from a thread in another newsgroup. Don't know which is more/less convenient, PPP or mass storage.

This has been a long saga. It started last Saturday when I tried to install a webcam without any luck. So, I plugged in a usb device (digital cam) that has always worked (to try to eliminate some variables), only to find out that it didn't work any more.

See the threads "lsusb shows nothing" and "how to install (reinstall) usb".

Obviously I would like the original problem resolved. Then I could go back to attempting the webcam thing. It just seemed that no one had any further ideas, so I thought I would at least get the digital cam to where I could copy pictures from it again. Then I would probably just give up on the webcam thing until some future release when maybe things would work right again.

Edited by RVDowning

Well, I found out how to find the address (from another newsgroup) and now it works. It would be much nicer if the usb stuff came up the way it is supposed to and the cam automounted, but at least I can now access it.

If anyone has any ideas regarding why usb doesn't come up after a boot and the cam doesn't automount, I'll be happy to hear about it.

I executed the following two instructions:

/etc/init.d/usb restart

/sbin/modprobe usb-storage

I then plugged in the cam and turned it on.

By checking syslog I saw the following:

Mar 23 22:03:20 localhost kernel: usb 3-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5

Mar 23 22:03:20 localhost kernel: scsi5 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices

Mar 23 22:03:20 localhost kernel: usb-storage: device found at 5

Mar 23 22:03:20 localhost kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning

Mar 23 22:03:25 localhost kernel: Vendor: Sony Model: Sony DSC Rev: 5.00

Mar 23 22:03:25 localhost kernel: Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 00

Mar 23 22:03:25 localhost kernel: SCSI device sda: 253696 512-byte hdwr sectors (130 MB)

Mar 23 22:03:25 localhost kernel: sda: Write Protect is off

Mar 23 22:03:25 localhost kernel: sda: Mode Sense: 00 00 00 00

Mar 23 22:03:25 localhost kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write through

Mar 23 22:03:25 localhost kernel: SCSI device sda: 253696 512-byte hdwr sectors (130 MB)

Mar 23 22:03:25 localhost kernel: sda: Write Protect is off

Mar 23 22:03:25 localhost kernel: sda: Mode Sense: 00 00 00 00

Mar 23 22:03:25 localhost kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write through

Mar 23 22:03:25 localhost kernel: /dev/scsi/host5/bus0/target0/lun0: p1

Mar 23 22:03:25 localhost kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi5, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

Mar 23 22:03:25 localhost kernel: usb-storage: device scan complete

It shows assignment on sda. Since I have no other scsi device I assumed the addrss was /dev/sda1

I then executed the statement: mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

Note I had already created the directory /mnt/camera previously.

I thought I still had a problem -- the camera kept getting disconnected and turning off. However, it kept turning off when it was no longer connected to the computer. It seems the batteries are shot. At least it is not more software problems. :)

Edited by RVDowning

sounds like there's a problem with the files system...do you have any important information on it right now? you could run chkdsk on it without mounting it, i believe. you could also try reformatting it fat if you don't mine losing any data on it ;)

If you are using 2006 then you are suffering from the same problem that I have posted on an earlier thread.

It seems that Mandriva has screwed up in this area and has done nothing in the meantime to fix it. This applys to a lot of other things as well. e.g Joystick operation, The back button (thumb button) on my Logitech mouse to name just a couple. It all worked fine in 2005-LE..

Almost none of these things can be blamed on Gnome or KDE changes, only on Mandriva changes.

Apart from many suggestions to set the camera as a mass storage device there was nothing forthcoming about how to overcome the problem. Since I have 2005-LE and 2006-Official on my machine, I find I am tending to use 2005 the most because everything just seems to work. At least I haven't yet found anything that doesn't.

After following the thread about Mandriva, I am not going to hold my breath for an upcoming resolution.

Cheers. John.