REISERFS-filesystem

Michel

Another question.

I would like to try out the REISERFS-filesystem because I've heard that it would be better for desktop-pc's. I know Mandrake normally uses EXT3, but is there an option or a way to have a REISERFS-filesystem and to let Mandrake to work with it.

Thanks

yes. my mandrake system at home is mostly reiserfs except for /boot (which is ext2) and /var (ext3 because I have read somewhere that there were some problems with reiser and a daemon that I can remember which).

you can also go wacko and try the various filesystems available during installationg. just make sure that you do an expert install to get the most out of the experience. dont let the expert label fool you as its easy if you can read and understand the instructions. :#:

ciao!

All my partitions for linux are reiserfs including boot. Just remember to use expert install and mark as many partitions as possible as extended.

why mark as extended ??? what the advantage?

I have 2 drives

drive 1:

2x primary (/boot swap)

3x Extedend (/ /var/log /tmp)

drive 2:

1x primary (/home)

all use ReiserFS ... if you have problems booting with ReiserFS on /boot then add ,notail, to /etc/fstab ... but Mandrake is pretty good and normally does all this for you.

I've been using EXT3 only because Partition Magic 7 does not read Reiserfs. I've used Reiserfs before but to tell you the truth I have not had trouble with either nor have I noticed much overall difference.

To be more accurate, my first partition is a primary and the rest are all extended. This avoids the 4 pimary partition limitation. Basically you can make as many partitions as you want too. Really the only advantage in your case would be if you want to reserve as many primary partitions for the future. This would probably be more important if you were doing dual-booting such as a

mandrake

gentoo

win2k

extended

all on one drive..

On the other hand, I don't know if there is any disadvantage to trying to stick to as many extended partitions as possible, do you?

mine goes like this: fat32, fat32-extended,/boot,linux-mix-mash.

the only reason i keep /boot with ext2 is i might try to install another linux system in the machine and keeping the boot partition basic will definitely help. besides its only 96MB. how long would it take to fsck the whole partition?

ciao!

I used to have all my partitions reiserfs, but due to practical reasons, I converted my / partitions back to ext2 in my two PCs.

The practical reasons are that it is by far much more easier to resque a broken system if the root partition is ext2. A simple old boot diskette would be enough to begin the resque. The main reason to use a plain diskette to start a resque is that my slackware computer doesn't have cdrom, so I can't use a resque cdrom with all the features it uses to have. Another reason is that I always forget to create resque diskettes, so in an emergency I always have to deal with *really* old floppies that I have arround :P

PS: IMHO reiserfs is the best filesystem of those which I've tested

PPS: Oh! you might wander, why not using ext3 instead of ext2 in your root partitions if they can be mounted as ext2 in case of troubles. Well, because I have personal hates over ext3 (It has been the only fs that has ever been corrupted in my PCs, though I cuould repair it)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GorGor

Hi

For true speedups I need more than 64 megs ram

But, I am now a convert to reiser as its faster on my system.

Some simple tests you may consider, open speed for open office

copying or moving a large megabyte file

(2) As to rescue recovery, for me the answer is to use the boot and root disk floppy system for the www.partimage.org which is an imaging tool. AKA a backup tool or known as help the idiot (me) get out of trouble free. heh heh