LILO gives an error

Gul Dukat

Hi,

I recently installed Mandriva 2006 x86_64 on my notebook. I didn't seem to have any problems with the installation. But after I had to take out my DVD and reboot the LILO came with an error and it has been doing that ever since. The error I get is as follows:

You passed an undefined mode number. Press return <RETURN> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue or wait 30 secs. And then Mandriva boots. I don't sem to get the picture of the penguin during the boot-proces. During boot-proces, everything happens in text-mode. After that I get the graphical login-screen and I can start using my desktop. At first I thought it was a problem with a bad DVD/CD. But I've tried my Powerpack-version and my Free-version, but they both give me the same error with the LILO. :o

I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, I've tried both the scan mode and try to give a Video-mode manually. But my laptop boots in the same as I've posted here above. So no penguin. And after reboot I get the same error with LILO.

Thanks for the replies guys. But I just don't get it. Really. :o

The problem seem to solve itself. I rebooted just about ten times, but I don't get any errors with the LILO anymore and I didn't change anything. How can this happen?

Normally the error you get is something to do with a "vga=" line in your lilo.conf file. These set video modes, so that you can use the frame buffer device, and get 1024x768 at the console prompt. Otherwise, you just get 80x25 characters on the screen and looks really big and bad :P

Unsure to why it works if you've not changed something. Maybe lilo was screwed and not installed correctly and after re-running it a few times it wrote the config correctly. Just a thought though.

Unsure to why it works if you've not changed something. Maybe lilo was screwed and not installed correctly and after re-running it a few times it wrote the config correctly. Just a thought though.

Well I really wouldn't know. But I guess your guess is as good as any. If the error somehow comes back, I will post my lilo.conf first.

Anyway, thanks for the replies and the time you've taken guys.