Loading Shared Libraries

996rxa

Help needed.

I had my Mandriva installed on my new computer (I have 3) by pro installer. I bought a DVD 2006. All went well. And was able to use it with ease.

HERE ARE TWO PROBLEMS:

1)

Sunday evening I started to study my computer settings to get my sound card running as I had no sound (Audigy 2 Platinium). I made many changes along the evening. I was on the root. Later I got a 'Signal 11' (SIGSEGV). I typed this on google and on a french internet site some said it was bad.

Since then my computer doesn't shut down. At the end of the detailed shut down sequence I can read: Power down acpi_power_off call. I have to hold the power button to shut if off manually.

2)

On Sunday evening I had also attempted to get the different patches and no one would load properly, all halted after a few seconds.

On monday evening I tried again and was able to download a great number, I was prompted to add some I had not selected or would be requested to remove to be able to acheive a proper installation; to all a agreed. Later in the vening I was not able to open up any softwear or web browser. I deceided to reboot.

I still have my opening dialogue box to choose wich OS I want, obviously I select Linux. The start up goes at it always did the halts to a black screen where I need to login. I tried both user name a password to proceed. Here is the message:

Loading shared libriaries: libXmenu.go.1! cannnot open shared objec file: no such file or directory. There are many other lines (which I didn't write down as they are elaborate but they all have to do with the 'libX etc......)

Is that a total desaster? Was it wrong to get all the updates at once?

Are there any places where we can get the do and don't about Mandriva?

Thanks guys.

Do you have a command line?

What is your video card?

If you updated x and are using an nvidia driver, it is necessary to reinstall the driver. Also, if you updated the kernel, you'll need to update your kernel sources prior to reinstalling the video driver.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes I do have a command line. [root@localhost *]#

I have : Kernel 2.6.12-12mdksmp

As I said I'm not exactly sure of all that I have updated. I've done most of those available in all three feilds (normal, security and bogs). I don't know if this can help in any way?

What is the update 'x'?

My video card is: ASUS EN7800GTX/Ultra Nvidia. To reinstall the drivers for Nvidia there is a topic for that, will this one be acurate for my type of card?

"x" is the software layer that generates the graphic windows in linix/unix.

You kernel is for a multi-processor system--do you have one? single processor kernel thatis current is 2.6.12-17mdk

Yes, use the nvidia proprietary drivers for your card. Reinstall them to get your gui back.

"x" is the software layer that generates the graphic windows in linix/unix.

You kernel is for a multi-processor system--do you have one? single processor kernel thatis current is 2.6.12-17mdk

Yes, use the nvidia proprietary drivers for your card. Reinstall them to get your gui back.

I hope I undersatnd you correctly. (I'm French)

My mother board is: ABIT AW8-Max

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz Dual core.

Would multi processor = dual core in this case?

No. Multi means more than one, as in two processors. I recommend using the standard kernel, although your present kernel should not cause any real difficulties.

Ok.

Here we are!

I've went on on NVIDIA web site and downloaded: NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run Next I've burned it on a CD.

This is not like windows, I find it easy to know wich letter is allocated to each drives, Hard drive, CD-rom, DVD-rom...etc.

I started my computer and once I reached the black screen I typed "root" and my password. I next have a command line.

I type: d NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run (I've type d because I assumed that the hadr drive was C, nest I type the same line followed by NVIDIA...., next I tried E, F and finally G) I stopped there because I always got the same nagging messagecommand not found or no files found.

I also tried: urpmi bimtils. I got te message like what all these pakages were already installed.

urpmi kernel-source sais that no pakages were names Kernel-source. These pakages contain Kernel_source: Kernel-source-2.6 and Kernel-source-stripped-2.6

If I type simply d I get this line: Desktop/ drakx/ Images/ téléchargement /vidéo/ Documents/ Musique/ tem/

Now I want to stop typping anything that may dammage the installation. Can I the EXACT line that I need to type? And how can I tell which one is which drive (i.e. hard drive, cd, dvd?)

Thank you

I have another add here asking information on how to install Mandriva (31175).

I type: mcc. I got to a dark screen with a square in the middle. I use the arrows and the tab to move through it. My video card is: NIVIDIA. The one selected is: Xorg and vesa.

In linux, the device names are lables according to the hardware channel locations and not some random letter. For ide channels, hda is ide1 master, hdb is ide1 slave, hdc is ide2 master, and hdd is ide2 slave. Any ide device can be called any of these. If your hard drive is on ide1 master, it will be called hda. Next, the partitions on hard drive devices are labled as numbers. So the first partition on device hda would be labled hda1.

In linux, the files tree starts at the root directory, /. One of those directories is called /home. Inside of that directory you will find directories for each user. So these would be /home/username. When you downloaded the driver, you should look at where you downloaded it to! Look in your user directory and see if there is a folder called /downloads. Personally, I always put it in my user directory outside of any folders until I decide what to do with it. When you find it, cd to that directory, su to root, and install the software.

There was really no need to burn it to a cd, but since you did, you will find your cdrom in the /mnt directory, probably labled /mnt/cdrom. So put the disk in the drive, cd to the directory, su to root, and install.

Thank you for replying.

I understand that many users are doing this under volunteer work.

I point out out that I'm mostly familiar with Windows.

Now I read: "When you downloaded the driver, you should look at where you downloaded it to!" I'm sufficiently familiar with computing to know where I download different files, I prefer to structure myself this preventing hardious searches through different hard drives. :-)

This being said I want to explain what happen for me to be loosing my sanity :-) over this topic. On monday evening I was getting familiar with my Mandriva OS. I notticed that there were pakages available, seeing one called "Security" I thought it was necessary to have it installed, I started that process along with the others available. Later I noticed that I was unable to open up FireFox and other applicaitons. On Windows when it starts to bug it's sipler to reboot, so I draw that conclusion and did so.

Here we are, the computer is loading again. I have my boot up choice that appears and I go on Linux again. The pale blue screen appears with it's nice pinguin etc....I press ESC to watch the upload of linux happen. Next thing I have a black screen with the command line.

I typed root and my password and that is the furthess I could go.

I got to my other computer and came to this site to find information on what was going on. Desperat I started this topic. I found out here that I lost my drivers for my videocard. How would I have known that by getting security updates and pakages that this would happen? There were no warnings.

I followed the instructions and went to NVIDIA web site and downloaded: NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg.run As I'm on another computer I need to put the drivers on a CD (remember I connot get Mandriva to run on my other computer).

Back to square 1.....

Now I undertand better how Linux administers it's hardware.

Typing "su" on the computer is useless, I'm already there....(at least I think I am).

After the pound sign (#) I type: mnt/cdrom , it replies: this is a diractory.

I type next: mnt/cdrom/NVIDIA-linux-x86-8178-pkg1.run to end up nowhere. There is something about a license that I read on the website and that we should read it and accept it to be able to proceed, never got there.

I tried many ways of typping: mnt/cdrom NVIDIA..... mnt/cdrom/NVIDIA..... mnt/cdrom nvidia...... mnt/cdrom/nividia.....

So I'm asking again: how do I make the installation from a Mandrake that doesn't get started that halts to: "Loading shared libriaries: libXmenu.go.1! cannnot open shared objec file: no such file or directory. There are many other lines (which I didn't write down as they are elaborate but they all have to do with the 'libX etc......)"?

I'm certain that if I survive this ordeal I should be able to go thought just about any thing that happens further in time :-)

root is not a "default" user unless you are logging in as root. I recommed making a daily user and using root only when needed. Playing around as a regular user cannot damage the system. Playing around as root can render the system useless.

the command for switching to a directory is "cd". So, you would put the disk into the drive and type "cd /mnt/cdrom". At this point I would choose to see the files. The command to list the files is "ls". This would correspond to "dir" in windows. By the way, in order to run the nvidia installer, the command is "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8187-pkg1.run" It is important to type exactly what the name of he file is, or nothing happens. In you case, since the cd only holds the Nvidia installer, you could issue a command "sh NVIDIA*" and it would probably work.

I have more questions. :lol:

When you updated the system, were you using the Mandriva sources in urpmi or did you have other sources in place, such as thac or plf?

Did you change your "kernel" during the upgrade?

The menu error you are describing seems to be related to kde, which would happen if you were upgrading/updating kde.

Another common mistake among users is to confuse Mandriva regular sources with cooker sources. Cooker is the experimental version that eventually becomes the next release. But, mixing these rpms with a regular release can be rather messy and tends to break things!

Again I thank you for your help.

I'm half way there. I'm celebrating!

Before I turned on my computer I disconected my Plextor 717 SA. That is a SATA DVD burner. I wanted to avoid any confusion. I don't know is I would have needed to type: "DVD/mnt/dvdrom" to get the file.

I type "cd/mnt/cdrom" and the directory was recongnised. The command line changed ending by cdrom.

As I said I'm half way there. I'm very careful typing the command down. "sh NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.008178-pkg1.run" wont start. It say that there are no such file or directoy.

I went back with the CD to my other computer and checked it on Mnadriva. Kwrite opens it, here is the first few line:

skip=893

CRCsum=3271818591

MD5=4ce1490e6935bd7f9cfe6b0eb4769ce4

label="NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 1.0-8178"

major_version=1

minor_version=0

patch_version=8178

pkg_version=1

script=./nvidia-installer

targetdir=NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1

scriptargs=""

keep=n

add_this_kernel=

TMPROOT=${TMPDIR:=/tmp}

TARGET_OS="Linux"

TARGET_ARCH="x86"

I tried "ls" (which is not 1s no upper case for i....Is) and there was no files or diractory found (this being translated from French).

About the other questions for Mandriva urpmi or thac or plf...that is Chineese for me I have absolutely no idea of what it means. As I said, there are no warnings what so ever in that feild. I also have no idea if I updated my Kernel.

May be it would be easier to get it back the the store who had it installed for me. Yet I wonder if I should not abandon all about Mandriva, because such issued irate me when I connot do something on my own. Sure it's a free software. I want to use mostly Mandriva to surf the net and for my emails as Windows is too bombarded by virus and spyware. On the opther hand I would be thrilled to have overcomed this problem on my own and that would help me overcome other if they should happen along the way. I hope I wont irate anyone by giving the impression on not appreciating all the hard work programmers have invested in this OS. For now I have invested many hours on the net looking for tips and literature to understand better the OS and solving problems.

TKS ;-)

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run

Neither windows nor linux will install a mis-typed command! ;) Please use the above command exactly as typed. Note that it matches the "target" on the file you have referenced.

Incidently, sata drives will show as sd0, sd1, sd2, etc. The naming convention of hda, hdb, hdc, and hdd only work for ide channels.

Yes I undeerstand that no computer will funtion if the command is not exactly typed. I'm also aware that Linux is case sensitive and type the upper case and lower case respectively.

Thank you for the information about the SATA and IDE.

As I said I was able to acces....or I think....my cdrom. My DVD burner is a SATA (Plextor 716SA) while my DVDROM is IDE and that is the ONLY IDE that I use. Both HD are SATA. I have no IDE CDROM.

Now if I try to acces a CDROM while all I have is a DVDrom can this have an impact on attepting to get the file to extract itself. I tested the CD that I've burned and was able to open it with KWrite on another computer which proves that the file is correct. Now is "cd /mnt/cdrom" correct or do I need to type the lead other wise?

Last week I've type: "cd /mnt/cdrom" and next "sh ls" I took a note of the response from the OS but misplaced it. I will try again soon and return to thise site.

Also, I've gone back to NVIDIA's web site and there is a warning about the license. I read so many things recently about this issue that all is mixed up in my mind but it did say that we had to agree to the license in order for it to function, now I wonder if this is not what prevents the file to extract. And if so (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-8178.html) is there a way that I can proceed on a system that load partially? Is there a way that I can load drivers temporairily? Is there as "SAFE MODE" as on Windows that would let me make the necessary changes? Or is it simpler to have the OS reinstalled?

I've checked for some issues on the "linux discussion forum" but was not sucessful. I will contact or leave a "Thread"

Thanks.

The drivers are proprietary in that they are licensed. There is nothing "unsafe" about them. I do not recognize the command "sh ls" and do not know what it will do. I do know that if you type "ls" in a directory you will "list" the contents of that directory.

You can change anything anytime without rebooting! Simply open a console and type "init 3" and shut down x. Make your edits and then type "startx" to go back into your window environment. (This is not ms windows!)

I do not know why you want to reinstall linux, but you may reinstall it as often as you wish. Since the installation does not give you the correct configuration, You will still need to make the correct configuration each time in order for it to work; so I suggest just making the necessary edits and stop wasting time with reinstallation.