Can Mandriva make 19" Samsung 930BF run 1600x1200?

Guest diesel1

Guest diesel1

Hi, can Mandriva make a 19" Samsung 930BF LCD panel run 1600x1200 in X?

I realise that the optimal resolution is 1280x1024 and this is fine . :D

Am I talking out of my backside or is it possible to make X run in anything higher than 1280x1024, with this panel? :unsure:

Diesel1.

a quick google seems to reveal that 1280x1024 is the max resolution for this monitor. this is the common max for 19" LCDs (it's very rare to see one that does 1600x1200). chances are trying to go above 1280x1024 will result in an "out of range" response from the monitor - or just a black screen.

You should ALWAYS consult your manufacturers monitor Manual FIRST before trying to change settings to high settings.

You could easily damage your monitor by trying to use settings outside of its range. It doesn't always just mean that screen won't come up.

This applys to regular monitors as well as LCD screens.

Cheers. John.

Hi John, ;)

My monitor supports quite a few resolutions and refresh rates, is there a rule of thumb for what to use for the best comfort for the eyes etc...?

You seem quite hot on the display side of the business! Anything to do with your job?

Stef

as far as refresh rates, in hz, it's a general rule of thumb that above 72hz is less likely to cause discomfort as most humans won't notice any flicker. in some people, lower refresh rates have been known to cause headaches, as the eye picks up the flicker even if you don't notice it (mind will often fill in the gaps). this, of course, is irrelevant with LCD's, as they draw the image differently (not by scanning down the monitor).

as far as resolution, use one that you don't find yourself straining to read.

Anything above 60hz is acceptable as a minimum but anything above 65to70 is of little significence.

I was trained as a Royal Australian Air Force Apprentice Radio and Radar Technician. After I left the RAAF I worked through the various Electronics fields and finished up as a Medical Electronics Technical Officer ( between tech and engineer) working on just about anything and everything electronic in Labs or Hospitals.

The retinas retentivity is on average about a 60th of a second (duration time in which the retina retains an image). If 60 images per second is seen by the retina it means the retina gets the next image about the time the previous image has faded in the retina.

If say the image rate is 55 then the next and subsequent images are seen by the retina just slightly after each previous image has faded, hence the apparent flicker effect, which gets progressively worse the lower the refresh rate.

Conversely if the rate is 65 then each successive new image is seen before the previous image has faded. Anything above 65, the retina cannot really much tell the difference.

I hope this rough summary is of help or interest. It is not meant to be clinically exact but just to get some idea of why some things are done the way they are.

My Samsung SyncMaster 913V LCD Monitor has only 60hz at 1280 X 1204 in Mandriva 2006 but in Win2000 it is 75hz.

I spend practically my entire time in 2006 and I never see flicker even on very bright screen images.

Tymes comment about the LCD screening method is important to note and is relevent to my last two sentences. It is also the reason I think that most LCD drivers in 2005 and 2006 mostly seem to have an almost fixed default of 60hz.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Guest diesel1

Hi all,

I thought this was the case, after all if there are only 1280x1024 pixels in the screen you can only show 1280x1024 resolution!

I am very impressed with the 4ms response time on this SM930BF LCD, even the fastest game or video shows no ghost whatsoever.

Thanks for the comments, Diesel1.