I lost my reiserfs /tmp-need suggestions!

bvc

I was in the process of making a partition for LFS in /mnt/lfs as the instructions say to do. I was using diskdrake from mcc and I can't find any errors anywhere but from experience I'd say it's a simple "lost connection to the X server" situation. The system rebooted on it's own when this happened and when it tried to enter init 5 (autologin) it bounced back and forth yadi yada and I ended up at init 3. To try to make a long story short /tmp is there but it's not. Linuxconf from init 3 acknowledges it's there but it has no size, parted reports the same, I can't mount it, I've gone to init 1 and tried a few things and done reiserfsck and I always get "/dev/hdb9 does not exist" After

-service dm stop ----failed to stop dm

-chkconfig dm off

-#out the line in /etc/fstab for /dev/hdb /tmp reiserfs.....

-reboot

still no X from init 3, so I had to

-mv /tmp /tmp.old

-mkdir /tmp

in order to reboot and get into X from init 3 only to start diskdrake in mcc and have it say

"the partition table of hdb is to corrupt for me I can go on trying to delete bad partitions but everything will be lost on hdb"...or something like that, just to then have diskdrake show me the partition table of hdb when it was hda and ML9.0 shared it with win98.

I simply wanted to try LFS...I still want my ML9.0! I can do everything by hand but if this is what I wanted...why do I need ML9.0? I'm looking for suggestions on how I can safely remove /dev/hdb9 from the partition table so that diskdrake sees things proberly and so I don't screw things up even worse. Thanks!!!!!

I would suggest to use fdisk. With it I would do a restore/repair of the partition table (It shouldn't be too hard since the problem seems to be only related to hdb9; and once everything would be OK, I'd do a mkreiserfs to that partition. That, IMHO, sould restore the "status quo ante".

I don't see a restore of any type with fsidk. I've gone through fdisk, cfdisk, sfdisk, parted, the different reiser tools, and called the mk diff fs's with mkfs.xxx ect.... and none of them will open /dev/hdb9 or overwrite an new or even a /dev/hdb10. The sector error is stopping them all from doing anything. :twisted:

Thanks...I'll poke around at the links but as stated above, parted wouldn't do anything either :?

[root@localhost bvc]# parted -i /dev/hdb check

Error: Invalid partition table on /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc - wrong signature 0

Ignore/Cancel? c

Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.             

[root@localhost bvc]# parted -i /dev/hdb check /dev/hdb9

Error: Invalid partition table on /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc - wrong signature 0

Ignore/Cancel? I

Partition number? 9

Error: Partition doesn't exist.                                           

[root@localhost bvc]# parted -i /dev/hdb select /dev/hdb9

Error: Could not stat device /dev/hdb9 - No such file or directory.       

Retry/Cancel? c

[root@localhost bvc]# parted -i /dev/hdb rm /dev/hdb9

Ignore/Cancel? c

[root@localhost bvc]# parted -i /dev/hdb check

Ignore/Cancel? c

[root@localhost bvc]# parted -i /dev/hdb mkfs /dev/hdb9 ext2

Ignore/Cancel? c

/etc/fstab is fine.

I don't know which is correct, but I get the same result either way;

[root@localhost bvc]# parted -i /dev/hdb mkfs /dev/hdb9 reiserfs

Ignore/Cancel? c

[root@localhost bvc]# parted -i /dev/hdb mkfs 9 reiserfs

Ignore/Cancel?

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc - wrong signature 0

is an empty block file.

Cool, I'm at the link making the parted bootdisk now...I see if it helps!

This is too cool...I thought I'd put it up in case when I reboot I have to come back in win98 :lol:

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ su

Password: 

[root@localhost bvc]# parted -i /dev/hdb

GNU Parted 1.6.3

Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or

FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more details.

Using /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc

Ignore/Cancel? i

Information: The operating system thinks the geometry on /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc is 3736/255/63.  Therefore, cylinder 1024 ends at

8032.499M.

(parted) print

Ignore/Cancel? i

Disk geometry for /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc: 0.000-29311.734 megabytes

Disk label type: msdos

Minor    Start       End     Type      Filesystem  Flags

3          0.031   1568.847  primary   reiserfs    

2       1568.848  29306.074  extended              lba

5       1568.878   1961.059  logical   linux-swap  

6       1961.090   5953.776  logical   reiserfs    

7       5953.808   7961.901  logical   reiserfs    

8       7961.933  11021.154  logical   reiserfs    

(parted) rescue

Ignore/Cancel? i

Start? 11021.154

End? 29311.734

Error: Can't have overlapping partitions                                  

Information: A reiserfs logical partition was found at 11021.155Mb -> 13578.373Mb.  Do you want to add it to the partition table?

Yes/No/Cancel? Y

Warning: The kernel was unable to re-read the partition table on /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc (Device or resource busy).  This means

Linux won't know anything nothing about the modifications you made until you reboot.  You should reboot your computer before doing anything with

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc.

(parted)

I'm back and so is my reiserfs /tmp! Thanks for the link Counterspy! It caused me to persist just when I was giving up. I've seen you suggest parted time and time again which is why I had it installed already (off the cd's BTW), just in case, and now I have the docs printed and a bootdisk. The docs at the link you provided opened my eyes to a few things the man doesn't get into. It also has a lot of great info about the process in general that is a real eye opener concerning BIOS/firemware. So I recommend it for reading for everyone! I knew it was fixable which is why it was so frustrating. It just took the right program, and the right combinations of commands and answers. The only other program I think maybe could have accomplished this is cfdisk, but parted has my vote.

sheesh :wink:

I'm glad I was able to help you out of that dilemma. For some reason or other , I have been slowly cultivating some meaninful facts about this esoteric subject and hunting for tools to fix things that go wrong with partition tables. FWIW, this came about as a result of trying to help a user on a.o.l.m. which became a community effort ultimately resulting in him rebuilding the table by hand with a sector editor. He left a final message after success about running cfdisk or sfdisk with a particular command, printing out the results and filing them for future reference. Your situation has motivated me to look for that post in google groups. You could probably do the same with Parted.

Counterspy