KDE 3.1 help?

Guest jwl

Greetings,

I'm still trying to upgrade my box to KDE 3.1 from texstar.

I now have the following installed:

[root@localhost jwl]# rpm -qa | grep kde

kdemoreartwork-acqua-20020501-1plf

kdegraphics-3.1-1tex

xmmskde-3.0-1tex

kdebase-servicemenu-1.0-4mdk

kdeedu-3.1-1tex

kdebase-3.1-6tex

kdebase-nsplugins-3.1-6tex

kdemoreartwork-crystal-0.6-1plf

kdelibs-3.1-5tex

kdelibs-common-3.1-5tex

kdeutils-3.1-1tex

kdegames-3.1-1tex

kdeartwork-3.1-1tex

kdeadmin-3.1-2tex

kdenetwork-3.1-1tex

kdeaddons-3.1-1tex

kdemultimedia-3.1-1tex

kdetoys-3.1-1tex

But KDE does not work. When I log into KDM, a half-drawn window opens up and the system freezes. I can, however, log in at a console and start GDM, which then lets me into GNOME, but I have to use a different x-server. If I try to start a KDE app from within GNOME, I get this:

[jwl@localhost jwl]$ konqueror

Xlib: connection to ":1.0" refused by server

Xlib: No protocol specified

kded: cannot connect to X server :1

DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-11266' to 'kded'

ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!

Xlib: connection to ":1.0" refused by server

Xlib: No protocol specified

kdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.

kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.

mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding

Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

A window that really wants to be Konqueror opens, but the widgets and icons and fonts are all screwy.

Help? Anyone?

Thanks ...

You are missing the libraries and some of the other programs kde needs to run in your list. To install it properly, you need everything in Texstar's KDE 3.1 directory and perhaps some others on your install CD's. Verify the integrity of the rpms. See man rpm from the command line. I had a bad kdlelibs which screwed my system including X causing endless problems.

I don't know how you managed to get those installed without dependency problems unless you used the --nodeps option in RPM. If you used urpmi, it should have caught and installed them. Check to see that they have already been installed. How much searching you need to do to find them is another problem, although a reinstall of the whole KDE directory will tell you what is already installed. Do this from a ctrl/alt/F3 terminal command line so you can see what is happening.

Also shut down KDE by logging on as another user using Gnome or another Window manager or by just going straight to console mode without logging in any users.

Counterspy

I didn't use the --nodeps option. I did this:

urpmi --auto-select --media texstar

after updating my urpmi sources. I found this command on this forum, in one of the topics. When I retype the above, it tells me "everything already installed." My understanding is that the above command installs everything in the texstar directory, does it not?

How can I tell which libraries I am missing? It seems to me that everything in texstar's KDE 3.1 directory is installed. I also have the qt stuff in, near as I can tell:

[root@localhost jwl]# rpm -qa | grep qt 

libqt3-devel-3.1.1-8mdk

libqt3-3.1.1-8mdk

libqt3-common-3.1.1-8mdk

I don't think I need the libqt3-mysql-3.1.1-8mdk.i586.rpm, libqt3-odbc-3.1.1-8mdk.i586.rpm, or the libqt3-psql-3.1.1-8mdk.i586.rpm files, since I'm not a developer.

Sorry for my newbiness here.

Practically, KDE is too complex for a newbie to install, and wisest thing to do is to wait for an update in the distribution. I have heard MDK9.1 RC1 is on the mirrors so final cannot be far away.

If you want to struggle with it, however, I would suggest you to visit pclinuxonline.com->forums->mdk rpm announcements. There are multiple discussions that might help you.

ta_relax

I'm not sure that I agree wit the previous statement. This is one of the problems of urpmi (opinion) that you don't have files to check after the install. Whatever happened KDE is now broken and the one thing you could do is print out the list of files from Texstar's ftp site and make sure you have them all. Otherwise use another Window Manager until 9.1 comes out unless someone else has a better solution than mine.

Counterspy

FWIW, I have used urpmi successfully since 8.2, but I always download into an install directory, cd to it, and after becoming su run the command "urpmi *.rpm"

If I have missed any files, urpmi tells me which one, and if they are all there, it installs. This also preserves my install files, especially with a desktop manager, like kde.

ndeb: that xinitrc rpm is already installed.

This situation still has me baffled. I think I'm going to reinstall. So the question is, do I reinstall MDK, which is quite easy, or do I go back to Debian? I loved Debian, but wanted to try one of the desktop-oriented distros. Mandrake was great for installation, but is very, very difficult to keep running well with current software.

It's now possible to use Knoppix as a Debian installer, so that takes care of the problems with Debian installation.

I miss .debs and apt-get. I know, apt runs on rpm now. But the modular structure of debian -- not to mention its numerous, fast mirrors -- have a huge advantage over Mandrake.

A tough choice. I'll probably decide in the next few days. Though I saw that MDK9.1RC1 was released. Maybe I'll go with that.

[root@localhost jwl]# rpm -qa | grep arts

xmms-arts-0.4-8mdk

xine-arts-0.9.13-3mdk

libarts-1.1.0-2tex

arts-1.1.0-2tex

[root@localhost jwl]# rpm -qa | grep lisa

lisa-3.1-1tex

[root@localhost jwl]#

As far as I know, everything is installed. Thanks.

Guest Texstar

Probably you have some incompatible

rpms installed that is causing kde 3.1 to

mess up. If you have any additional

artwork such as keramik, crystal-icons,

old liquid 0.95 and others then remove them.