10.1 Official > 2006?

Yankee

One reason would be because you don't want to reformat and lose your data. The other is to save you having to spend time installing and getting your system back to where it was but with the new version (all current apps, desktop settings, etc, etc).

You can upgrade using urpmi or CD/DVD. I normally prefer clean install, much more stable.

A couple reasons to upgrade:

1. I don't know how much longer 10.1 will be getting security updates from mandriva but if they stop giving security updates, that's a good reason to upgrade to a newer supported version;

2. USB support for pen drives and other usb mass storage devices is much better starting with 10.2(LE2005) due to the adoption of HAL with udev, although I believe this can be backported to 10.1 using the contrib sources.

Mandrake 10.1 stopped updates about October time last year from what I remember.

LE2005 is due to stop about April/May time this year I believe, from what I remember reading at least.

By upgrade I meant clean install of 2006. I had 10 community and it locked up with USB thumb drive. 10.1 seems ok but I had read about the new USB stuff and kernel amd thought I might switch because I don't mind the work. It is all a learning experience for me. I still use windows a lot for various reasons but I am very much looking forward to dumping windows. I finally got a USB scanner that works under linux as does my camera. Video playback gives me a lot of trouble in linux, but it is getting better. Also, this would be my first Mandriva, as in after the name change and I thought I should at least catch up for name sake!

Just a bit of history on the versions with udev, etc.

10.0 be it Community or Official was devfsd based. When 10.1 came out, they introduced udev, which was a lot better, although maybe had some issues I never experienced any, but only have a few usb type devices anyhow.

If you have new hardware, it's best to use a newer version of a distro release, because it'll have a newer kernel, or at least should have. Although if your machine is cutting edge new, expect that some hardware may not work, at least for a while until you have a much later kernel installed.

Saying that however, you can always install a newer kernel on a distro to try and get the support you need. But be careful if you do, since it has to be done correctly. Some distros just use normal kernel compilation, whereas others user kernel + initrd to boot. Mandriva is one of these for example. I've come close to doing it, but not yet. And no, not scared, just no real need to do it :P

Once on clean install of 2006, remove kat and lisa, they are memory hogs:

urpme kat
urpme lisa

and then enjoy.

Almost forgot, video usually works pretty good for me. This is what I installed:

urpmi xine-win32
urpmi win32-codecs (unless the above installs it, normally does)
urpmi mplayerplugin

mplayerplugin allows me to view in my web browser.

Very good info ianw1974,

That is what I was looking for and I didn't post that it was 10.1 because I didn't know about the difference between 10 and 10.1. Anyway I have gotten my 2006 up and going and am working on the true type fonts now. I love mandrake even though it hacks me back!

I guess its Mandriva now, going to be hard to get used to. I am not new to linux. I started with RH 5 or 6 or so, then quickly moved to mandrake moving through like 7,8,9,10 and here I am. As usual I learned a few things with this install and also had to dig in the back of my head to remember what I do know. I really hope Mandriva does great things! And thanks a bunch for the tips on kat & lisa. I read that somewhere around here and forgot about it. I posted this here because it was an install question, should I? I'm glad I did but for those reading this I first tried grub and it didn't work as in the past.

I dual boot XP and linux and write the boot sector on the drive linux is on then tell the XP boot loader where the .bin file is. I have posted it here a year or two ago under dual boot or something. But for the record, my method still does not work with grub.