firefox 1.5 rpm for 2005LE?

papaschtroumpf

I don't know about an rpm of firefox 1.5 for LE2005, but here's a procedure on how to install firefox 1.5 on LE2005 using the tar file from the mozilla website without messing up the Mandriva default firefox browser:

Installing firefox 1.5 on LE2005

I followed the instructions in that post and it mostly works, but java doesn;t work in firefox anymore, so I'll have to go look for the instructions on how to get that done, etc... This is exactly the type of things I was hoping NOT to do.

At least all my extensions seem to have been imported properly

Ah, I see. I think the dependency issue would be more of an issue with Gnome than with KDE, as I run a pretty full KDE system and don't have any need of the Gecko engine, but Gnome certainly uses it.

I'm not exactly sure what is trying to be accomplished here, though I'm guessing it's a system-wide install. Wouldn't it just be simpler to decompress the new firefox into a directory in your home directory? That way the system-wide rpm and your new version could work easily together, and you could still have all your plugins in ~/.mozilla/plugins.

Gannin said:

I think the dependency issue would be more of an issue with Gnome than with KDE...

Probably so, since KDE relies so much on Konqueror, but not necessarily. It's more of a "what apps I have installed" issue. Many apps, some not KDE or Gnome and some you whould never expect, rely on Gecko.

...a system-wide install. Wouldn't it just be simpler to decompress the new firefox into a directory in your home directory? That way the system-wide rpm and your new version could work easily together, and you could still have all your plugins in ~/.mozilla/plugins.

You could, but why not install system-wide? I no longer have both versions installed, but they worked fine together when I still did. I always put stuff installed from generic rpms like Firefox or Thunderbird in /usr/local, then create a symlink in /usr/local/bin for all users to run them from.

Plugins are copied or symlinked to /usr/local/firefox/plugins or /usr/mozilla-firefox/plugins so they're also available to all users. I guess if you're the only user on the box it doesn't much matter, but suppose later you want to create a "test" user or your girlfriend moves in...? Anyway, why *not* install globally?

Copying libjavaplugin.oji.so won't work. Softlinking is required, and actually this is in no case 3 minutes, but < 1 min (or some 15 seconds, with Midnight Commander). I don't think this is too much for anyone...

Just looking up the instructions on what to copy takes more than 1 minute. Especially since the name of the pluggin changed since I last did it with java 1.4 or something like that.

It's not hard, it's just an annoying step to perform. Why the firefox install script can't scan your machine for a jvm is beyond me.

If you're using the Sun JVM, it generally installs into the same location each time, with just a change for the version number, so if you've symlinked the plugin before, it wouldn't be hard to do it again.

By the same token, considering it does tend to install into the same location each time, it certainly would save a few seconds if Firefox just scanned for it and installed it itself.

But there again, there will also be people that don't bother with manually creating the symlink, or even installing a separate JVM, but instead just let Firefox's automatic plugin finder install a JVM for them the first time they come to a web page that requires Java support.