Installing Intel pro/wireless 2200 bg card

I am new to the linux world and I just installed mandriva on a Toshiba (Qosmio 2.13 ghz centrino). I was trying to connect the toshiba to my home wlan using mandriva the problem is that the wireless card is detected but the drivers need to be installed. I downloaded ipw2200(etc).tgz it's the most recent one though. the compressed file is bunch of files that i wasn't able to open using mandriva it asks me to chose an app to run them. They weren't installation wizards ( :) I am new to linux).

how can i install these drivers (ipw2200 ... .tgz)

I have no command line knowledge and I appolize but I really need help and I will aprreciate it...

thank you

• 4 months later...
I am new to the linux world and I just installed mandriva on a Toshiba (Qosmio 2.13 ghz centrino). I was trying to connect the toshiba to my home wlan using mandriva the problem is that the wireless card is detected but the drivers need to be installed. I downloaded ipw2200(etc).tgz it's the most recent one though. the compressed file is bunch of files that i wasn't able to open using mandriva it asks me to chose an app to run them. They weren't installation wizards ( :) I am new to linux).

What version of Mandriva did you install? I installed Mandriva 2006 on a Gateway laptop with the same wireless card. Mandriva detected the card and installed the appropriate driver and I have had no problem connecting at all. I have 2006 power pack though.

J.T.