Accessing music files on Windows XP Hard Disk

Scythe

Ok, I have a 40 GB HD with a 25 GB partition for XP and a 15 GB partition for Mandriva. I also have a 120 GB slave that is XP formatted. I have all my music files on the 120 GB slave drive and would like to access them while in Mandriva. Is this possible?

Ok, you should be able to use Mandriva Control Center to set this up to be mounted on boot. Look under System or Hardware for Mount Points, then choose the drive that is the 120GB partition (/dev/hdb or hdc?), and give it a mount point, tell it to mount on boot. Since it's NTFS you won't be able to write to it IIRC. Also, make sure you set it so that users can access it. There should be an option available (might have to click an advanced tab).

Sorry my instructions are rather generic, but I haven't taken a peak at the most recent Mandriva release so I'm not exactly sure how the MCC is set up this time around ;)

Yeah, you goofy Gentoo guys with way too much configuring to do with the distro don't have time to play with other distros :P j/k

Since it's NTFS you won't be able to write to it IIRC.

What do you mean by that? I don't know what IIRC stands for, but I'm guessing that I can't write files to the NTFS file system using Linux.

In MCC-> Mount Points. Pick hdb (the slave) and set a mount point. My guess is that when you installed the installer saw the partition as a Windows file system and gave you a mount point in /mnt. In that case you should see two directories in /mnt for your windows partitions. If not set a mount point, say /music for example. When it asks if you want to put it in /etc/fstab say yes and you're done.

FAT32 can only be written to, although there are products that allow you to write to NTFS, but it's limited to existing file, or very very slow.

If you wish to share for writing purposes, then have as FAT32. For access only, NTFS is OK. I had problems with large files that wouldn't read correctly, or crash the app, or not allow me to copy them across from the partition into Linux. Now I only use Linux, so isn't a problem to me :P