OpenGL and mult-sessions? Can't run?

Guest cid

Has anyone tried having 2 Xsession's open and using any OPENGL type stuff?

I can't seem to Run "foobillards" from the second Xsession. It gives me some sort of cryptic permissions error that appears to pertain to the opengl libraries.

I have an Nvidia GeForce2 32mb DDR card, if that matters.

(And I have installed the Nvidia drivers)

Thanks!

D

I don't think you can.

I think you get a lock-file generated by the first use of the libraries, preventing you from accessing the opengl processes a second time.

Have you tried running one X session on a duel-head vid card and the same X-session???

If I had one, I'd try it :)

Thing is, I'm not trying to run two instances of open GL, i.e. not running Foobillards on session 1, and foobillards on session 2 (what would be the point?)

But it still fails. Not sure if I made that clear before. All I've got left running in the dormant session 1 (really session 0 I guess) is Kmail or something.

So I wouldn't think something would lock a OpenGl library, unless the session does that by default?

D

I think the session DOES do that by default.

Many of the times, when you are talking about a harware device, the system will do a lock-file to prevent errors in the device resources. KPPP does it for example.

Just tried running foo billiards in a second X session while leaving this thread open in the first. Well, it runs but boy is it jerky and slow.My hardware: P4 2.53 MHZ, 512 MB DDR ram, ATI Radeon 7500 with 64 MB of DDR memory. Running Debian right now. It may be either a Mandrake or a hardware issue or possibly a foo billiards issue.

It could be your ATI Radeon 7500. I remembered installing mandrake for a friend who has that vidcard, it took me an hour and a half trying to find the driver and compile it so it supports 3d. Even when it works, it is still not as smooth as my old GEForce2MX (and my cpu is even older than his, too).

Both your systems beat the crap out of mine, which may be part of the issue.

I've got a Celeron 600, overclocked to 900, 32MB GEforce2 DDR, and 384MB SDRAM.

Oh well, I've loaded billard-gl with no problems while running multi-sessions in Xandros (debian build).

I seem to be migrating towards Xandros now...with wife and Kids, the gui Session Switching is helpful.

Though honestly, everything else seems to run better in Mandrake.