Formatting a Reduced Size Multimedia Card

Guest Antony

Hey guys,

right, i need lots of help here:D

is there any way, or any software that i can get (for mandriva 2006) that will allow me to format a memory card, i used it in my phone, for ages and it was totaly fine, then i loaded some mp3s onto it, still fine, then i ripped some in linux - uploaded them and it dies.. not impressed.. but now my phone is saying that the card is curupted and i cant format it thru that, altho - if my windoze was working properly i'd do it in that.. (i ran the cacls command on the C: and its dissalowed access to the whole drive(wont even boot up)).. so any help on that would be brilliant as well:D

Thanks

-Antony

You could try to use:

mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdax

where x is the number of the memory card in your machine when you try to access it. Easiest way to find out is when running, type mount and see what's shown as mounted, and what corresponds to the memory card. Usually /dev/sda1 or similar. But be careful to make sure you have the correct drive.

I'm assuming it was formatted as fat, which is why I've specified the file system type as vfat.