Was able to connect to webpages, now can't

Tracer Bullet

I recently installed Mandriva 2006 and set up my NIC with the address of my router. After a bit of futzing around, I realized that I had a DNS problem because I could bring webpages up by their IP. I tried to change the DNS from the router address to my ISP DNS, but now eth0 won't even initialize. I followed the network FAQ found here, and looked at ifcfg-eth0 and resolv.conf and it looks right, but I still can't get eth0 to work.

This is really frustrating as it was working before. I don't know what else to do.

I should say that I had it working- I was able to ping my router and Google's site (IP, not name) but I did... something... and now eth0 won't even enable. I tried following this guide:

www.iwpcs.co.uk/simple_net_setup.html

but when I try to open /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 in the console, nothing happens. If I try to save changes using the graphical interface, it won't let me. So how can I possibly fix this? I really can't understand why I can't even enable eth0- isn't that independent of the settings?

Edited by Tracer Bullet

I sort of fixed the problem. I set it up to use a static IP address, and now I can ping my router and access webpages using their IP address (even though the router is still set up as DHCP... whatever, it's working). However, I still can't access webpages just by typing the address- my resolv.conf file is blank, which seems to be the problem. When I do su and then /etc/resolv.conf, I get a "permission denied" message. What could be causing that?