Screensaver xfishtank problems [solved]

sofasurfer

In order to figure out how to start xfishtank, which I loaded off my #3 cd, I am trying to run the screensavers that were installed during setup and which normally work fine. Problem is I can't figure out how to run them from consol. Is this possible? Do I still have to wait for a few minutes for them to start?

I know where my screensave directory is but I don't know how to read the files. Can I tell from the files what commands are required to start a screensaver?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Ok, let me get this conversation started.

I have installed xfishtank. There appears to be no way of sucessfully stating it.

I managed to stumble onto the command 'xscreensaver-demo'. This bought up a window called 'screensaver preferences'. This is not the same window accessible through MCC ('configure screensaver').

The 'configure screensaver' window has NO mention of xfishtank. The 'screensaver preferences' window does list xfishtank. In the Preferences window I configured the xfishtank options, I highted the xfishtank and choose the 'only one screensaver' mode, I previewed the xfishtank screensaver (and it works), and I even found the command line that should start it. BUT, when I leave my pc idle till the screensaver starts, it is not the xfishtank.

Any thoughts on this?

xscreensaver is the default screensaver used by GNOME. if you run KDE (apparently you do), it interferes with the KDE screensaver program though it shouldn't. A nuissance is that even after you've closed xscreensaver-demo, xscreensaver remains running. Kill xscreensaver process first, then try your screensaver.

Solved!!

I accidently got xfishtank running.

As I said, it was not present in the screensaver configure (MCC) window, but it was present in the screensaver-demo window.

However it would not run on its own.

I decided to try 'xearth' and so I downloaded and installed it. It too appeared in the demo window but not in the MCC window. But lo and behold, when I left my pc and returned a while later it was running. So I went back to the demo window and selected xfishtank again. Prosto!!! It now works. Don't know why but it does.