KDE 3.5.1 Installation

Scythe

Ok, so I want to upgrade to KDE 3.5.1 from 3.4.

I've followed the link to here and get a big long list of files.

Is there any one file that I can download, install, and have it configure my future downloads based on my system configuration? I'd rather not have to download all 50-some RPM there.

What procedure would I follow, exactly?

I wouldn't recommend this if a newbie. There are lots of things that can go wrong. If you feel OK with going ahead with the upgrade, go for it.

But you might have a lot of headaches, and maybe some little problems, or big problems. Just to prepare you if you do go for it.....

Not that I want to put you off, of course. I tried a KDE 3.4 upgrade once on a 10.1 or LE2005 installation, and I had problems that weren't resolvable, things that wouldn't work, apps that wouldn't work etc.

I support Ianw on this one. Get used to doing just normal updates and simple installs until you gain some experience.

Some would say just dive in, that that is how you learn. Learn what ??? How to make the same mistakes over and over that others have done before you ???. Do yourself a great big favour and do it gently gently but steady and you will still learn along the way.

Cheers. John.

Or you can install KDE 3.5.1 from here -> http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/thac/kde2006.0.html

> Add the source to your urpmi as shown there,

> add all easy urpmi sources (contrib, both PLF)

> then go to some other Window manager (say Fluxbox or IceWM), uninstall all KDE from there,

> rename the old /home/username/.kde dir to .kde.old

> Install KDEbase (just the base packages)

> then install everything else

> voila!

=============

I have KDE 3.5.1 installed from Thac and Ze and there are no problems (stability problems too) with it (at least nothing has crashed on me).

Edited by solarian