Need a Complete Idiot Guide!

Guest cabal20000

Guest cabal20000

I have been looking around on a number of sites about Linux and I have yet to find a guide to help me install programs to

Mandriva 3.1.. I am trying this version out but I can't figure out anything. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Again I am a complete idiot when it comes to Linux.

:wall: How do I become the "root"?

How do I install simple program like bittorrent programs?

How do I mount a ntfs slave drive to read and write?

Why can't I just click on the executable file like in windows to install? I don't understand, it should not be that hard!!!

Much thx

Cabal2000 :wall:

Regarding NTFS:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...iew=getlastpost

And I just got Azureus 2.4.0.0 up and running too, it just runs from the directory no installing need, just click the Azureus shell file

For root, go to a console and type su - ( ie. superuser with the minus sign).

Or for access from KDE go to a console and type:

kdesu kwrite

open /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc from kwrite

change allow root login =false to allow root login =true

Edited by ffi

I have been looking around on a number of sites about Linux and I have yet to find a guide to help me install programs to

Mandriva 3.1..

Mandriva 3.1??? :huh: I guess you mean Mandriva 10.1 or LE2005 or 2006...
How do I become the "root"?
open a terminal (little black monitor icon) and type "su", followed by the root password
From the terminal as root, type "urpmi packagename-you-want-to-install", e.g. "urpmi azureus". Or go to "Configure your computer" (aka Mandriva Control Center, MCC), and go to the software section. Search in the sofware groups, then click and install.
Why can't I just click on the executable file like in windows to install?
Because Linux is not Windows. The executables need proper permission and config settings in order to work. This is also a security feature as it stops malware and spyware from executing itself on your box.

For more help, take a look e.g. here:

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Mandriva

Guest cabal20000

From the terminal as root, type "urpmi packagename-you-want-to-install", e.g. "urpmi azureus". Or go to "Configure your computer" (aka Mandriva Control Center, MCC), and go to the software section. Search in the sofware groups, then click and install.

Sorry man, I openned the "Configure your computer", searched for the file name "Azureus_2.4.0.0_linux.tar.bz2" which is in "my downloads" folder. But it could not find it!!

I tried it same thing in TERMINAL window typing in the file name but nothing.

Again I am very sorry but i am complete idiot to linux, I have been at this several days and still don't have a sweet clue. I have been, like most people, working with MS Windows and pretty much have a good understanding on how it works.

Urpmi is a great little program for downloading and installing programs (it´s almost addictive) but it doesn´t work for Azureus because Azureus is not available from the standard scources, where urpmi downloads from.

Anyway .tab.bz2 and .tar.gz are like .zip or .rar files in Windows, extract the folder Azureus from Azureus_2.4.0.0_linux.tar.bz2 to any folder, run it from there the way I described before. There´s just one thing, you need Java (jre-1.5). I don´t believe the version required for Azureus is in urpmi yet, just download from their site, if you don´t have JRE yet (you only need java runtime enviroment (JRE), not the dev. package).

Edited by ffi