Problem with loading graphical environment

Tracer Bullet

I am a completely new Linux user, so I'd appreciate being talking to like a child. :P

I downloaded and installed Mandriva 2006. I had no problems except for a graphical issue with my Radeon X300 PCI Express video card. I can't seem to find the right configuration in order for the X window system to boot- when I boot into the OS, I get the command line. I went back into the installation screens and played around with the configurations, but all the tests I run come back with "device not present". I know it's probably a driver issue, but how do I fix it? Any help much appreciated.

At the command line type "mc".

This is a nice file manager/text editor. The navigation tools are in front of you.

Navigate to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Go toward the bottom and see what driver it is using.

Note that in order to edit this file, you must be root. So before you launch Midnight Commander, type "su" and your root password, then "mc". Then you will be able to edit the file. You may need to change the driver to "vesa".

su

root password

urpmi mc

It will ask for one of the disks.

then repeat the previous post.

Midnight Commander should have installed by default. Seems there may be some thing missing in your installation.