Alcatel Ethernet Modem

Guest apolinario

Guest apolinario

Hi

I have a Speed Touch home Ethernet modem which I have been using on Mandrake 8.1 for ages with no problems at all. All I had to do was to give a static IP to my eth1, e.g. 10.0.0.1 and then:

pptp 10.0.0.138
dhcpcd eth1

and voila. I had access to the web page of the provider from where I would log on and get full Internet access.

I have just installed Mandriva 2006 and found that I needed to install the pptp-linux-1.6.0-2mdk.i586.rpm in order to get pptp. pptp works ok but when I execute the dhcpcd command it hangs for a bit and then gives me:

dhcpcd.exe line 27 filename argument required

I am frustrated as other threads on this issue refer to other ISPs where the username and password are needed to set up the pptp tunnel. I am sure this is not needed in my case as my 8.2 installation works fine with no pap-secrets or chap-secrets or anything else.

Any help???

Thanks

Guest apolinario

In the meantime between sending the post above and waiting for a reply, I have managed to get the modem working as follows:

* Installed the pptp-linux rpm

* Installed dhcpcd

Issued the commands

pptp 10.0.0.138
dhcpcd eth1

It didn't work as mentioned above!

Then I copied the pptp and dhcpcd binaries from linux mandrake 8.1. I expected them not to work due to library version issues etc. but surprisingly they did and the modem works fine.

So my question now becomes:

Why on Earth do the new versions not work? Anyone please give me a sensible explanation because this issue was quite frustrating!!!