X server randomly restarts, kicks me back to login screen.

lynchmob

I have 2 systems running the Christmas club ed.. Both systems are running 24/7 for my distributed computing software, Rosetta@Home.

I leave them logged off until I need to use the system and for most of the time, there are no issues. But when I login and kde starts, it will hang briefly during the " Initializing Peripherals" part and then restart x and kick me back to the kdm login screen. A cold reboot fixes this and will go for weeks before it happens again.

This happens randomly and only when I try to login and use my kde desktop.

I have'nt had time to really dig in and find what's causing this( though I suspect it's a kde thing) and wondered if this was a common problem?

lynchmob

I've had similar problems on one of my systems, which I built myself, and I found it to be a problem with a BIOS configuration.

If you have an option called "Load Optimised Defaults" in your BIOS, choose this, then save, and see if it gets any better for you. I found I had to login twice before I'd get KDE normally, and after I'd done this it was OK.

Also, try running memtest although it'll take a long time to run, it will at least highlight if there are some memory problems. Before I chose Load Optimised, my system had loads of memory errors, and afterwards, no errors. It seemed my BIOS was configured incorrectly, and might possibly be a similar situation for you.

Just something to check anyhow.

These are home-built: I have been running one for about 4 years and the other about 1 year. They never displayed this problem until after I installed MDV 2006 Christmas Club edition. All other versions of Linux that I have run on these 2 systems ran fine. The problem with solving this is that it may only happen every 2 weeks or 1 week and everything is good in the interim.

Thanks for the suggestions but I think it is a kde/kdm or x thing specific to this version of MDV. If you think of anything else, I'm all ears. :)

I'm going to try the updated kde and xorg packages next.

lynchmob

I had this happen with x problems. I don't think it is hde so much as x. Have you updated x.org?

FWIW, kde prob lems tend to cause failed programs and freezing; x reboot is x. Just guesses, but have seemed to be the case in the past for me.