Removing lock on user directory file changes.

Counterspy

I set my security to high in anticipation of getting HS Interent access and it now appears during the boot up messages that user and group quotas have been set. I have my bookmarks stored on a floppy and now a right click on any file in the home directory dumps me up one level refusing any attempt to change the file. I have never experienced this behaviour before. The instructions for msec are for 8.2 and it would appear that is the source of the problem. Lock was not loaded during the install so I am leaning to msec.

MCC shows the level at 2 and the home file set at 755 with owner root and all of the boxes are grayed out at this level meaning you can look but not edit. I need a terminal command to overrride msec, but I can't find out what it is even with all my books. The Mandrake manuals do not answer the question when the security issue is involved.

Counterspy

IMHO, you should never use high msec levels because that means *a lot of mess*, mainly because they are thought to be used with high risk (or even, compromised) servers and not with home-servers/workstations. So IMHO you should put your system back to standard security level; as root run: "msec 3". I'm sure that that level is enough secure to operate (if you think your system is weak in some way, do punctual changes to improve the security your own, and avoid messing with msec because it is intended to be used by high experienced administrators).

Let me know if I missed the point of your question because my english is getting worse every day :P

Thank you for the quick response. In attempting to solve the problem, I found the files were locked in terminal mode even for root and would let me access /etc/shorewall. Emacs offered a way around that and I am now reconfiguring shorewall. BTW, your english is just fine.

Counterspy

I tried setting msec to three in vain could not retain changes even in root and had to reconfigure my network and asdl after every restart. This was frustrating enough since the printer upgrades screwed up my printer access forcing me to WIndows and a reinstall of Mandrake. The closest I can come to is that quota got set when I was installing. Mandrake documentation was woefully shortcoming although I suppose we should be greatful for anything in writing from Mandrakesoft. My unfamiliarity with networking didn't help.

Counterspy