fuzzy text printing in linux, fine in windows

Guest fat_larry

Guest fat_larry

my Epson C62 prints text oddly in linux. any left and right edges of text are 'fuzzy', vertical edges are zig-zag like. for example an l would something look like:

< >

< >

< >

< >

< >

< >

< >

which is really odd. the effect isnt very pronounced, but text is certainly not very 'crisp'. in windows its fine.

what do you think? i'd really like to be printing to the best of my printers capabilities

I assume you are using CUPS,... right?!?! Well you should. This is especially true if you are networked and want to share a printer.

Launch the CUPS web-based administration tool. From there check the settings for the printer to (1) raise the contrast and/or (2) increase the dpi resolution. Remember that CUPS-based Linux printers will generally print slower than their Windoze counterpart since most Windoze printer drivers have an accelerated mode that they use (fonts hardware pre-loaded into printer memory). The default CUPS settings try to print at pretty much the same speed, I believe... so the print quality must be reduced to compensate.