like mandriva but can't run it - please help

shams

hi,

i like mandriva 2006, i installed from the cd's with the defualt selected packages, after installation it was runing ok, wanted to add some more or all other packages, with package manager i added some more packages, but now x is starting but can't work when i start any application it just hangs on, the console is working fine, i tested the kde as well gnome desktop, it was on old hard drive i thought may be that is the problem, reinstalled to the new hard drive but the same problem, i used mandrake 10 in the same machine without any prblem also presently runing fedora core 4 with no problem my system is i686, 2,5 G proccessor, 256 mb RAM and 900 mb swap partition.

What other packages did you add before it stopped working?

Are all packages affected or just the ones you've installed?

Disable kat for starters, since it hogs resources. Remove it with this from the command line:

urpme kat

and then make sure it's not running in the toolbar near the clock.

thanks for reply, i start to install all the missing packages, so i added a lot of them didn't remeber the names, when i start the x and want to run any application it just hangs on. and i have to reboot from the second console iwth ctrl+alt+f2 the keyboard is working in the console.

Edited by shams

Use the easy-urpmi link at the top of this page, then get all the updates downloaded for your system.

Add all the options, main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free, plf-nonfree and updates. Then go into System/Configuration/Packaging/MandrivaUpdates

Make sure Normal/Security/Bug Fixes are checked, and download everything. Try running the apps after this.

If you're still getting some problems, you can update other software using this at the command prompt:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

then your complete system will be up-to-date. It could be you have a package problem somewhere, or something.

Either that, or do a new installation with everything that you want this time, and go from there. Sometimes, a new installation is the easier option if things aren't going right for you the first time.