Guarddog

Guest ump

Hello again in MDK Land

I need to know if there is a good How-to or Tutorial on setting up Guarddog.

I have read through the manual and still a little confused on some issues.

All I want is it to block all incoming port request but still let me out to surf the web and get maill and chat and occasionally surf the news groups via PAN.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but this firewall stuff is still real new for me. But I am willing to learn. :D

Guest Joe Noob

Guarddog is a GUI front end to iptables which means it does the work for you. Just run guarddog and select what you would like to use ie. dialup web is Domain name server and mail is probably POP 3 (incoming) and SMTP(outgoing). These are what you'll check after you uncheck "allow all no firewall"

Thats for dial up, if you need more info try the docks on the guarddog web page or do a google search.

Hope this helped

You have to look at it in layers, you have to create a new Zone for you LAN, even though it has a local there already. Once you do that and add your network and netmask, you have turn things on to get access to the Internet.

For a single network, you will have 3 Zones, LAN, Local, and Internet. The Internet is what you are going to allow your boxes to have access to on the Internet, POP3, SMTP, DNS, WWW, NNTP, Gaming Ports...just the basic stuff, and your going to block block the rest. All 3 Zone should have access to the major ports. The Local and LAN Zones are where you are going to allow WebAdmin, Samba if you are running it. All the services you need locally, but want to keep from spewing on the Internet. As well as the required ones through, the ones you have allowed access to in the Internet Zone. Once you have this basic picture of how it works, you will get things running. The default rules is Deny All though.

This probably isn't going to be much help, but Guarddog is the only firewall that I have managed to configure - shorewall drove me up the wall and I was stumped about firestarter as I kept getting dependency snags with GTK even though I think that I have got everything installed!!!

anyway, I just looked at the guarddog website and followed their instructions as to how I get it configured (bearing in mind that I only have it set up for surfing and e-mail).

I did try "shields up" (even though it says that it's for wind0w$ based kit) and that said I was "secure" and when I tried "having my ports probed" (painfull), it said that everything was closed. Don't really know how much credence to place on the info provided. When I tried the same tests booted back into wind0w$ XP with zone alarm running, I was told that I am apparently running at maximum stealth mode.

As I said, probably not much help but just following their website instructions seems to have secured things pretty well, even though I don't know the square root of f**k all about what it's actually doing!!!

regards

John

it was my understanding that once setup you should show ports blocked not just closed but I can't seem to get to that point.

read the manual and setup like i thought was correct but still the same as if I had no firewall installed

Guest metz2000

I don't mean to be patronising, but the help files that come with Guarddog seem to be very useful. (They might actually be part of KDE help).

The help provides a good idea of how to set up a firewall. I didn't have a clue what to do when I had shorewall so I ditched that and I find Guarddog 100 times better for actual ease-of-use and also help.

I have been through the help files and manual as my post stated.

But still not working like I thought it should I have come to the conclusion that it has to do with the fact I am going through a router and the scan I am doing is reporting the router not my actual pc.

Anyone agree or disagree with this assunption

Hi

some hints for those not going to read the help file that comes with this program.

1) run it via su (or root privilege) so all users are configured

2) for dial up MODEMS only

click on protocol TAB and start clicking on the RH side stuff then TICK to enable if you want it . ALL others should be blocked (blank box) by default

clicking on each protocol gives a rough description of it

I suggest minimum web browsing

File transfer ftp http https

Network DNS (to enable address searching)

(I don't like any email downloading cos I use partimage and use a yahoo 6 meg storage so stay web based)

DON'T ENABLE any Interactive Sessions especially X window telnet etc unless you will keep mandrake updated and subscribe to security mail lists

3) click on APPLY then ok buttons

4) TEST firewall at www.pcflank.com or www.auditmypc.com

Do not use www.grc.com I suspect it does not test all 65K ports