Mandriva 2006 Live cd - User Login problem[solved]

Guest slan57

Hello:

I'm a Linux newbie and have only been running Live cd distros to explore and figure out which ones I like and will run properly on my pc. While running Mandriva 2006 I attempted to change my monitor resolution and was informed the changes would only take effect once I logged back in. So I ended my session and got to the login prompt and realized I didn't know what the username and password were, so I was stuck. I did find out that the root login is root/ root, but I didn't want to continue as such for fear I might do some damage.

I know there must be a standard user login as per other distros I've tried. Can anyone tell me what that might be?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Dirk

Edited by slan57

Hello, slan57.

Actually, you don't need to use the control center to configure resolution. Next time when you use Mandriva 2006 Live CD, there is a small monitor icon on the right side of the KDE panel. Just right-click on it and you will be able to switch resolution.

However, in case you need to logout and login again for other things. Before you logout, use the Mandriva control center to "unlock" the guest user and set the password. By default the root has no password, and the guest is locked in 2006 LiveCD. You need to unlock guest first, then set his password, otherwise you won't be able to login as guest again.

All settings of the 2006 LiveCD cannot be saved, that includes the password. This Live CD is mainly made for demostration and hardware compatibility test.

Hello Scarecrow & yochenhsieh

Thanks for both replys. Scarecrow, I tried using Guest but that didn't work.

Yochenhsieh, I was finally able to "unlock" the guest user and reset the password and that enabled me to log back in. I just have to remember how I did it for next time. It was a bit confusing. I tried changing the resolution by the method you suggested first but was only given a limited choice, so I went back to the control center to set it and used the logout/ login proceedure and it worked. I'm up and running right now, at the correct resolution.

By the way, how do I tag my post as "solved"?

Thanks again to you both.