Speed Factor

Guest gg4

I'm installing Mandrake 9.0 on a not so great computer. It has about a 600 mhz processor. I want to be able to use gaim and the such, but I also like KDevelop. Most importantly, I don't want the comp to be really slow. Your recommendation: GNOME or KDE?

While I like kde, gnome has less overhead, and is a very nice gui. So, I would recommend gnome.

On the other hand, if you like to configure your own gui, fluxbox is great after some setup, and it is really fast, even after loading up programs. But, it is not ready to go, like kde or gnome.

gg4,

Speed depends on a lot of factors. I would suggest at least 192MB of RAM for either KDE or GNOME. Is the 600MHz CPU a P3 or a celeron ? Also, note that KDE-3.1 is quite fast and specifically, the texstar rpms ( ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...ake/9.0/KDE-3.1 ) are really good. I have them running on my 750MHz duron/256MB system and KDE is really fast.

Nah, I've got 256mb so I should be fine. Can I get KDevelop to work under GNOME?
If KDevelop does not need KDE to be run, then yes. Most KDE apps can be run without running the KDE window manager.