Exporting address books (Thunderbird to Kontact)?

bigjohn

Does anyone have any idea how I would go about copying my Thunderbird address book/contacts list over to the KDE Kontact/K-mail apps?

Why? because I've been using Thunderbird as my mail client for a while now and I'd like to be able to copy the addresses that I've saved to Kontact/K-mail as I understand that that would work more easily with Kpilot that I've installed to be able to sync my Palm Treo 650. So that I can use the Treo 650's mail client but still be able to use kmail as well ???

regards

John

Edited by bigjohn

Google tells me that you can export the address book from Thunderbird in LDIF format.  This can be imported into Kontact.  :)

OK, I wonder how I'd do that. I've managed to find a file in the thunderbird directory, but it's .mab format (which I'm presuming is "mozilla address book" format), but it'd need to be converted to LDIF format, which is a little over my head!

My kmail (from KDE 3.5.0) does have a Thunderbird mail+addressbook import module.

Can't sware it works, because I use Thunderbird.

Which menu/toolbar heading might that come under I wonder, because I can always modify the toolbar so that it has the particular "item" for me to get the address book from thunderbird.

I'm gonna have a google as suggested by spinynorman (though I posted as I didn't have a clue as to where to start!) and see what that comes up with.

TVM thus far for the ideas/suggestions. I'll report back as to how I get on.

regards

John

OK, having spent a while courtesy of google and various kde sites/sections, I'm no further ahead.

the kmail I have installed doesn't seem to have anyway of copying/converting the thunderbird addressbook - well not one that I can find.

I did find a way of getting some mail and directory structure but that's exactly what I'm not trying to do.

The stuff that google "threw up" didn't get me any closer.

What am I actually trying to do? Well I want to be able to use kpilot to sync my treo 650 (which it does) but to copy the address book from thunderbird (which has been my main mail client for sometime).

As far as I can find, it seems that kmail will probably work best with kpilot (logic dictates ??? 2 "k" apps etc). Hence trying to copy the address book from thunderbird to kmail.

So any ideas or suggestions or links that you know of are still very much appreciated.

regards

John

EDIT - OK, I've just manually copied over the address items (copy and paste etc), so I'll start a new thread about my next question!

Edited by bigjohn

Just for the record, in kmail 1.9.1 which is bundled with KDE 3.5.0, you can simply go tools/import messages and pick the TB menu- this imports everything from the TB profile.

Thanks for the suggestion scarecrow.

It didn't work. It only seems to get the directory structure, plus a load of other stuff that seems to show that it's messages, but when opened is just garbled nonsense. It didn't touch the addressbook at all.

Hence I'm still stuck with this

regards

John

Google tells me that you can export the address book from Thunderbird in LDIF format.  This can be imported into Kontact.  :)

OK, I wonder how I'd do that. I've managed to find a file in the thunderbird directory, but it's .mab format (which I'm presuming is "mozilla address book" format), but it'd need to be converted to LDIF format, which is a little over my head!

John, I'm not sure if you still need to know this, but there should be an Export Address Book menu option in Thunderbird, I believe it's under Tools. If you choose LDIF format, you can import this into Kontact. In Kontact, the Import option is on the File menu. :)

John, I'm not sure if you still need to know this, but there should be an Export Address Book menu option in Thunderbird, I believe it's under Tools.  If you choose LDIF format, you can import this into Kontact.  In Kontact, the Import option is on the File menu.  :)

I can only locate an "import" option, there doesn't seem to be an export one (under tools or any of the other menu options).

I wonder if theres something I should have had enabled to make "export" available. If so, I can't find any clues as to what it might be.

In truth, having to use kmail is a compromise - I find thunderbird better, but can't find anyway of configuring kpilot to use thunderbird.

regards

John

To export addressbook from Thunderbird Address Book in LDIF format open Address Book and go to Tools>Export... The format of the generated file is determined by extension so you shall type something like addressbook.ldif

P.S.

You couldn't find Export option as I bet you've been looking in the Tools menu of Thunderbird Mail

To export addressbook from Thunderbird Address Book in LDIF format open Address Book and go to Tools>Export... The format of the generated file is determined by extension so you shall type something like addressbook.ldif

P.S.

You couldn't find Export option as I bet you've been looking in the Tools menu of Thunderbird Mail

Yes, you're spot on. I managed to sort it straight away when I realised what I wasn't doing. Though I'd still prefer to use thunderbird if I could - It's a lot nicer than kmail or kontact.

Thanks for the tip anyway - strange how things can be found when looked for in the right place :cheeky::cheesy:

regards

John