Installing non smp kernel

Guest newcomers

Guest newcomers

Hi,

Im running Mandrake 10.1 powerpack+ and the kernel is 2.6.8.1-12mdksmp #1 SMP

I have a few problems with an application im trying to run and have been told that the problem is the SMP Kernel.

What is the difference between a kernel and an amp kernel and what are the disadvantages of running an non smp kernel

Also, how would I go about installing a non smp kernel?

Many thanks for your time

An smp kernel is especially built for dual core computers (or quad core or Xcore (I don't know how many processors are actually possible on one machine... I heard 16 is maximum so far...). It tries to split processes and workload on two or more processors, so that the overall performance is basically better than on a single-core computer (important for servers and other high-load workstations). There is however a problem involved in this. Some hardware does not work well with smp kernels due to the limited number of users actually using smp-machines and bugtesting things on/with them. It is just like normal kernels that might or might not work well with your hardware, depending on how well they are tested.

Afaik, some software will not run well on smp kernels as it was written with single core kernels in mind. Imagine to build a Ford Diesel engine into a Ferrari Testarossa. It can be done somehow, built problems will arise and the mechanic probably never thought of such an idea. You get the picture.

You can of course use a normal kernel, but you will leave a lot of the system ressources untouched/obsolete by doing this imho. For installing normal Kernels, download them from the software mirrors with urpmi.

PS: What you can try to do is to download the source rpm file and rebuild it against your kernel. Maybe that solves some software problems with you smp kernel.